Welcome to Augsburg University Residence Life!
Welcome to your home on campus! First-year students live in Urness Hall. We in the Department of Residence Life look forward to helping you navigate your adventure through college!
The First-year Residence Hall Director, Elizabeth, would like to welcome you all to the Augsburg community! She is really excited that you will be joining us and will work tirelessly to make sure your experience will be great.
As a Residence Hall Director, Elizabeth supervises the RA staff and makes sure the day-to-day operations of the building run smoothly. Elizabeth’s office is located in the Urness/Mortensen lobby, but is also available via Zoom to meet.
As part of the First-year Residential Experience, there will be a Resident Assistant (RA) on your floor. Your RA helps to create a healthy and inclusive environment for all residents, as well as serving as a resource to help you navigate your first year.
WHAT TO BRING AND WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME
What to Bring
- Desk lamp
- Bucket or basket to carry toiletries
- Storage crates
- UL-approved multiple outlet strips (with circuit breaker)
- Extra-long bed sheets (36″ x 80″)
- Shower sandals
- Fridges 5 cubic feet or less
- Appliances with self-contained, thermostatically controlled heating elements with automatic shut off may be used in student rooms
- Appliances with open heating elements (e.g., coffee maker, griddle)
- Fish that are in tanks no larger than 10 gallons
- Posters, pictures, decorations (see Seasonal Decorations Policy)
- Stereo, computer, TV, DVD player, video games
To make your room your home away from home, consider bringing posters, pictures, decorations, and favorites from your bedroom.
What to Leave at Home
To prevent injuries, fires, and loss of property and lives, you may not use or store the following items in the residence hall:
- Fridges larger than 5 cubic feet (full size)
- Flammable fluids
- Potpourri pots with an open flame
- Hot plates
- Pizza ovens
- Air conditioners (unless approved by Residence Life and installed by Facilities Management)
- Illegal weapons
- Fireworks, firecrackers, or bottle rockets
- Hunting items
- Explosive devices
- Halogen lamps
- Personal bed frames, mattresses, or springs (unless authorized by the CLASS Office)
- Cinder blocks and bricks
- Pets (unless approved by the CLASS Office)
- Appliances with immersion coils, water heaters without thermostatic controls, and exposed coils (e.g., space heaters, toasters) unless provided by Residence Life or Department of Facilities Management
- Natural evergreen trees, boughs, and wreaths
- Hot tubs
Appliances must have enclosed heating elements and have the underwriter’s laboratory approval. The University reserves the right to, and will, remove unauthorized or dangerous electrical appliances, lighting, or items.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
In order to pick up your keys, you must have completed the online Emergency Contact Information form. Interacting with Augsburg University Records and Registration, please log on to Augnet using your username and password. Click on Records and Registration which directs you to a new site in which you must click on Student Information/Contact. You can find it at Records and Registration on Inside Augsburg.
Completion of this form is required for all students living on campus. The information entered on this form will aid the University in providing assistance in the event of an emergency. All information is private and is used solely by the Augsburg University administrative staff.
Please have the following information ready when you fill out the form:
- Home address,
- Cell phone number, and
- Emergency contact information.
RESIDENCE LIFE Handbook
The Residence Life Guidebook has been revised for the 2021-2022 year. Please take some time to look over our residence hall and campus policies and procedures.
PERSONAL PROPERTY AND RENTERS INSURANCE
Augsburg University is not responsible for lost/stolen/damaged personal property. We encourage residents to have homeowner’s/renter’s insurance or make sure they are covered under their parents’ policy. If you have roommates, we also encourage you to have open discussions regarding the utilization of property. We provide a Roommate Agreement form to assist with this conversation.
Laundry facilities are provided by Coinmach Corporation. Laundry facilities are located in each building and are available 24 hours a day. The machines are FREE to wash and FREE to dry. Use your smartphone to check to see which machines are available and receive text alerts when your cycle is done.
LOFTS – FUTONS – MICROFRIDGE
Interested in lofting this school year — look no further than BedLoft, the leader in college residential lofting supplies and resources. Although not required, the addition of a loft can provide desired space as you transition to shared living. If you are interested in renting a loft or microfridge or purchasing a futon, you will indicate that on your housing contract that you sign in your housing portal.