Katherine has taught for Augsburg College since 2005, starting as an adjunct instructor and joining the fulltime faculty the fall of 2006. Katherine brings her experience and commitment to nursing to the B.S.N. completion program as well as the MAN program.
Prior to coming to Augsburg, Katherine has held multiple roles in her 30+ year nursing profession, including staff nursing at Hennepin County Medical Center, nurse manager roles at Fairview Health Systems, leadership roles in home care and hospice agencies in Minneapolis and South Texas, and quality consultant roles at Fairview Health Systems.
Katherine has developed a keen interest in transcultural nursing and focused her DNP project at Augsburg College on developing a sustainable health promotion program in rural Guatemala. Twice a year she leads two immersion experiences with Augsburg graduate nursing students to gain a deeper understanding of the complex intersection of culture and social structures to creat a context for health, healing and survival.
- B.S.N, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- M.A. in Nursing, Augsburg College
- Adult Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
- DNP, Augsburg College
Baumgartner, K., Laing, K. (2005). Implementing “Lean” principles to improve the efficiency of the endoscopy department of a community hospital. Gastroenterology Nursing 28(3), 210-215.
- Transcultural Nursing Society (past Vice President, 2008-2010)
Areas of Teaching Responsibility
- Trends and Issues in Nursing
- Transcultural Nursing
- The Politics of Healthcare
- Immersion courses in Guatemala and Oaxaca, Mexico
- Creating Healing Rituals and Cultivating Relationships: An Immersion Experience with Transcultural Nursing Students in Oaxaca, Mexico. Transcultural Nursing Society, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October, 2013.
- Transcultural Nursing in Guatemala: A Different Yield. Transcultural Nursing Society, Las Vegas, Nevada, October, 2011.