Poet Cary Waterman joined the Augsburg English Department in 1990. She is the author of five books of poetry. Her most recent book, Book of Fire, was a 2012 finalist for the Midwest Book Award and was selected by the Minnesota Women’s Press for their BookWomen Center for Feminist Reading Retreat. Her previous collection, When I Looked Back You Were Gone, was a finalist for the Minnesota Book Award. Her poems are included in the recent anthologies, Minnesota Women Poets from Pre-Territorial Days to the Present and Where One Voice Ends, Another Begins: 150 Years of Minnesota Poetry.
She earned her undergraduate degree at the University of Denver where she studied with John Williams. For many years, she was Poet-in-Residence with the Minnesota Writers in the Schools Program, teaching poetry workshops across the state for middle and high school students and teachers.
Cary has won awards for her poetry from the Bush Foundation, the Loft, the Minnesota State Arts Board, and was a McKnight Artist Fellow. She has had residencies at the MacDowell Colony and at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre in Ireland. She has served on the Minnesota State Arts Board and The Loft Board of Directors.
- B.A. University of Denver
- M.A. Minnesota State University-Mankato
- Post-Graduate Study, Vermont College of Fine Arts, 2012
- Minnesota Women Poets from Pre-Territorial Days to the Present, New River Press
- Where One Voice Ends, Another Begins: 150 Years of Minnesota Poetry, Minnesota Historical Society
- When I Looked Back You Were Gone, Holy Cow! Press
- Book of Fire, Nodin Press