Pauline has taught for Augsburg College since 2005 and shares her interest in nursing leadership and professionalism with the students in the Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing programs.
Pauline has also been employed by Mayo Clinic since 1984. She continues to work for Mayo Clinic part-time as a nursing education specialist where she develops programs to enhance leadership and professionalism of staff nurses and nurse managers within the institution. Prior to her current role, she worked for 18 years as a nursing placement coordinator and was responsible for external hiring of staff nurses for Mayo Clinic. Pauline has also held the position of staff R.N. on the Plastic Surgery and Burn Unit.
- B.S.N., Winona State University
- M.A. in Nursing, Augsburg College
- D.N.P, Augsburg College
Posters and Presentations
“Leadership Challenge: Developing Staff Nurses to Lead.” (2011) National Nursing Staff Development Organization 2011 Convention. Chicago, Illinois.
“Embracing Leadership: Creating Your Future.” (2011) International Transplant Nurses Association. Minneapolis, Minnesota.
“Nursing Leadership Perspectives Program.” (2007). Nursing Leadership Congress. Chicago, Illinois.
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Abraham, P. (2011) Developing nurse leaders: A program enhancing staff nursing leadership skills and professionalism, Nurs Adm Q, 2011, Oct.-Dec.; 35(4): 306-12.
- Abraham, P. (2010) Developing nurse leaders at the beside: Innovative leadership program for staff nurses. Abstract, American Organization of Nurse Executives.
- Abraham, P. , Johnson, P. (2010) Positioning nursing for the future: Developing nursing leaders from within. Abstract, American Organization of Nurse Executives.
- Abraham, P. (2010) Leadership challenge: Developing staff nurses to lead. Abstract, National Nursing Staff Development Organization Conference.
- Utesch, P. (2008) Nursing leadership perspectives outcomes evaluation. Research Study, Mayo Clinic.
- Utesch, P. (2006) Building bridges to and environment of transformational nursing leadership: Developing a program to enhance professional nursing leadership skills. Graduate Project, Augsburg College.
- Certified in Nursing Professional Development through the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Trainer, Crucial Conversations©
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member of the Association of Nursing Professional Development
- Past Member of the Minnesota Organization for Leaders in Nursing
- Participant in a community program—Leadership Greater Rochester
- Facilitator, Department of Nursing Advisory Board, Augsburg College
Areas of Teaching Responsibility
- Transformational Nursing Leadership
- Nursing Leadership and Management: Theory and Practice
- Student Advising
- Recipient of the Mayo Clinic Individual Award for Excellence,
- Recipient of the Mayo Clinic Excellence Through Teamwork Award, 2001