I have two main teaching roles at Augsburg and I enjoy them both. First, I enjoy my role teaching our “Search for Meaning” (Introduction to Religion) courses. I get to meet and learn from students representing all kinds of religious and non-religious points-of-view. Augsburg’s diverse student community makes for an ideal setting for comparing and contrasting beliefs about life’s meaning and purpose.
I also enjoy my role working with the many students who come to Augsburg interested in ministry and church work. As a former camp-counselor, youth director, youth pastor, and youth-and-family pastor, I consider it a privilege to be a part of the biblical and theological formation of developing Christian leaders, especially those in our Youth and Family Ministry (YFM) program. Much of my teaching (as with much of my scholarship) is focused through the History of Christianity. I believe that an appreciation of where the church has been, where it’s at today, and where it might be going will better guide budding Christian leaders.
- REL 100 “Vocation and The Search for Meaning”
- YFM 205 Topics “Media and Ministry”
- REL 309 “Religion at the Movies”
- REL 343 “Theology of Marriage and Family”
- REL 345 “The Lutheran Heritage”
- YFM 358 “Life and Work of the Church”
Sample Publications (available online)
- “Redeeming Life of Brian: How Monty Python (Ironically) Proclaims Christ Sub Contrario” in Word & World 32 (Spring 2012)
- “Luther on Lending: A Pastoral Response regrading the Subject of Usury” in Word & World 30 (Spring 2010).
- “Commentary on Psalm 46” (with connections to “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”) in Working Preacher (October 31, 2010)
- “Commentary on Galatians 4:4-7” in Working Preacher (December 28, 2008)
Contributions to Scholarly Books
- 24 articles in The Westminster Handbook to Theologies of the Reformation (2010)
- 330 entries (including 22 long articles) in the on-line edition of Dowley’s Introduction to the History of Christianity (2014)
- Forthcoming: “Engaging Media and Messages in the Religion Classroom” in Pedagogies of Civic Engagement and Religious Studies (due out in 2015)
- Forthcoming: “The Uses of the Law” in Dictionary of Luther and the Lutheran Traditions (due out in 2016)
- B.A., University of California, 1984
- M.Div., Luther Seminary, 1991
- Ph.D., Luther Seminary, 2005
- The American Church of The Hague, The Netherlands, 1991-1993
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Lodi, California, 1994-1998
- St. Andrew Lutheran Church, Eden Prairie, Minnesota, 1998-2008