Admission to Scholastic Connections happens through an application process. A selection committee reviews applications and decides on the new scholars mid-spring semester.
Each year about five new recipients are selected. Recipients receive a $5000 scholarship for the academic year. Program participation may be renewed for succeeding years provided Scholars meet the eligibility requirements as detailed on the Scholastic Connections award letter.
Benefits to being in a mentoring relationship
- Access to someone who has been to Augsburg and completed their undergraduate degree
- Access to someone successful in their field
- Opportunity to get to know someone new
- Networking opportunities
- Receive recognition and support for who I am and what I am doing
- Personal growth and development
- Career development and planning
- Personal guide/coach
Preparing to be in a mentoring relationship
To maximize the experience, Scholars are encouraged to spend time reflecting on what it takes to be in relationship with a mentor, through a series of self reflection questions:
- Who am I?
- Where do I come from?
- What is my learning style?
- How do I prefer to be directed/guided?
- How do I respond to feedback, positive and negative?
- What skills are required to be an effective mentee?
- Which of these skills do I have?
- What do I want out of this relationship?
- What do I want to know about my mentor?
- What are my goals in this program?
- What might be some stumbling blocks that might get in the way of my success?
- What strategies might I employ for block-busting?
Eligibility Criteria for Acceptance into Scholastic Connections
- Applicants must be a returning Augsburg University student or an advanced standing transfer student.
- First time freshmen enrollees are not eligible for this program.
- Applicants must have demonstrated financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office
- Applicants must have demonstrated involvement in community activities
- Applicants must have demonstrated leadership abilities or potential
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
Applicants must complete the following:
- Scholastic Connections Application (due 3/1)
- One letter of recommendation from someone other than a family member (due 3/1)
- An application interview with Cindy Peterson (completion deadline 3/15)
A selection committee will meet the 3rd week of March to determine recipients
Recommendations will be made to the President. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by early April.