Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual (LGBTQIA+) Student Services works to improve the campus environment for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors at Augsburg University by developing and supporting inclusive understandings of gender and sexuality. We aim to do this by:
- Advising, advocacy, mentorship, and support for LGBTQIA+ -identified students;
- Development of student knowledge and leadership skills;
- Promoting awareness and visibility for the LGBTQIA+ community on campus;
- Providing networking and social opportunities for the LGBTQIA+ and allied campus community;
- Training students, staff, and faculty about gender and sexual equity to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment;
- Advocating for change in policies, practices, and procedures across the campus to be more equitable to LGBTQIA individuals.
The Department of Multicultural Life strives to be a national leader in multicultural student success and social justice education within higher education. Through collaboration with key departments, offices, and individuals; the development and implementation of cultural- and social-critical educational programming; and the focused mentoring and support of historically underrepresented student populations, the department works to co-create a university environment that allows for all members to fully engage in the entirety of their collegiate experience.
We believe when students have a greater understanding of self, they become empowered to reclaim* ownership of their education. Multicultural Life provides opportunities to deepen awareness and knowledge of identity, resilience, and advocacy.
*Due to the white supremacist foundation that is rooted within higher education, education does not allow historically underserved students to take a stake in their learning.
Campus Pride “Top 30” LGBTQ-Friendly Campus
Augsburg University was named one of the “Top 30” LGBTQ-Friendly Campuses in 2023 by Campus Pride, as well as receiving a 5 out of 5 star rating. The index is used as a benchmark to look at various colleges’ and universities’ progress around making their institutions welcoming and inclusive to LGBTQIA+ -identified students. The index looks at a number of variables in its scoring, including LGBTQIA+ policy inclusion, support and institutional commitment, academic life, student life, housing, campus safety, counseling and health, and recruitment and retention efforts.
LGBTQIA+ Student Services Program Manager
Pronouns: He, Him, His
Location: Oyate Commons – Christensen Center, Lower Level Suite 2
Office Line: 612-330-1087
Office Email: email@example.com