A Note of Thanks

The Central America team would like to share with you a recent letter they received from an alumni of the program, Rachel, from Fordham University. This is an excerpt from Rachel’s thank you letter. Bolded emphasis ours. 

I just wanted to write this email to say thank you. It’s been about nine months since we left Nicaragua and I’ve now had ample time to reflect on my experience there. Since then, I’ve also studied abroad in South Africa on a program run through my university. This immediate jump to a semester in an entirely different context took some adjustment, but ultimately enabled me to place both experiences in unique contexts and explore the different ways study abroad programs can be run.

Now that I’m home and I’ve had time to reflect, I can say wholeheartedly that CGEE in Central America was the defining experience of my undergrad time and the most impressive program I’ve been on. I’m thoroughly convinced that this program lives up to its ideals and mission statements in so many different areas, ranging from support for the students to careful interaction with all the communities it touches. I have been on several other study abroad programs, in Europe, China, and South Africa, and nowhere else have I felt so supported and also so encouraged to step outside my comfort zone and open myself to opportunities and challenges that could forever change my perspective. 

I wanted to reach out and personally thank you both [Ruth & Kathy] for being formative influences during the study abroad experience. Ruth, I can imagine no one better to lead us through the experience. Your unfailing kindness, openness, and warmth combined with helpful insights and understanding made you a pillar around which our group could always rally. Kathy, your class taught me so much, but more than that, your openness and willingness to share or talk, as well as your expertise around and encouragement to step outside the American perspective helped me grow so much. In addition, all the other people who facilitated our group, including Fidel, Cesar, Jonathon, and Elisa, offered different perspectives and taught us more than we could have imagined before leaving.

Thank you, Rachel, for taking the time to share your reflections on the program. We all enjoy shaping the lives of young people like you and are very happy to hear that we have had an impact on your life!