Study Abroad Program Coordinator
Augsburg University’s Center for Global Education and Experience (Augsburg CGEE) invites applications for a Study Abroad Program Coordinator, with a proposed start date in mid-August 2021. This position is located in Windhoek, Namibia.
ABOUT AUGSBURG CGEE: Augsburg CGEE delivers high-impact, experiential, social justice-oriented global learning experiences for universities, high schools, non-profit organizations, businesses, churches, and others. Augsburg CGEE’s pedagogy is influenced by popular education, as well as other critical, experiential, feminist, Indigenous, and decolonial pedagogies that foment transformation. The goal of all of our global learning programs is to amplify the voices of marginalized people, and to empower learners to work for personal and social transformation.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this job is to teach courses and assist in the development and implementation of semester-long academic programs and short-term seminars for U.S. university students who are traveling to Namibia and other areas of Southern Africa for the Center for Global Education and Experience (CGEE) at Augsburg University in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. This job reports to the Southern Africa Site Director, who is based in Windhoek.
Responsibilities for Semester-Long Programs
- Teach 2 of the 3 following courses:
- The Politics of Development in Southern Africa
- Political and Social Change in Southern Africa
- Internship Placement & Seminar
- Provide necessary planning for courses, including creation of appropriate bibliographies and syllabi.
- Complete course evaluation, grading, and administrative tasks related to course offerings.
- Occasionally travel to the United States to promote program with prospective students.
Responsibilities for Short-Term Seminars
- Short-term seminars usually span 2 to 4 weeks and are customized to fit the educational topics and goals of each student group.
- Design, set up, facilitate, and lead seminars in Namibia and South Africa as needed. Specific tasks include the following:
- Selecting and ensuring a diversity of speakers and site visits that respond to each group’s interests;
- Drafting a tentative itinerary to share with the university or organization that CGEE is creating the program for;
- Arranging all the logistics, including language interpretation and on-call emergency support;
- Arranging a time and place (with good Internet service) before the end of the program to debrief with the program participants and facilitate the completion of online evaluations;
- Completing a trip leader report, final program schedule, and a post-trip letter to participants;
- Completing financial reporting for the Southern Africa Site Director and the Augsburg University home office in Minneapolis.
- Work with the Regional Coordinator of Customized Programs and Augsburg CGEE’s Minneapolis-based team to develop program samples and sample itineraries, as needed.
- Give advising and care to students, provide information about health and safety issues, and refer students to appropriate services in the event of a crisis.
- Be on call for student emergencies.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred. If job candidate holds a bachelor’s degree only, must also have 5+ years of professional experience. (Experience studying in an international setting is an advantage.)
- Experience in experiential and social justice education.
- Knowledge of international education at the university level.
- Ability to speak 2 or more languages preferred. (Knowledge or fluency in a Namibian language is an advantage.)
- A valid driver’s license.
- Ability to travel for 1 to 3 weeks at a time within Namibia, to South Africa, and to the United States.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Medical aid
- Contributions to Namibian state pension fund
- Paid vacation and paid holidays
- Tuition coverage for dependents’ attendance at Augsburg University
How To Apply
Qualified candidates may apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver the applications at: The Center for Global Education and Experience, Simpson Street, No. 5, Windhoek West, Windhoek. Additional information can be obtained from the office of the Director, Mrs. Albertina Shifotoka-Mbango. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews
5 July 2021