If you are seeking academic course credit for an internship, please review the academic internship registration process.
Augsburg Experience: Work-Connections
(available for WEC and AU students only)
The Augsburg Experience integrates experiential learning with academic learning and links on-campus learning to the constituency goals, mission, needs or ideas of off-campus people, organizations and/or communities, through community partners and/or professional activities and/or travel. The main goals of the Augsburg Experience are to link the theoretical with the practical and to link the on-campus experience to the wider community.
The WEC/AU Work-Connections option will meet the same criteria and goals of all other Augsburg Experience options but allow WEC/AU students to utilize their rich and often extensive work history to meet the requirement. WEC/AU students who are currently working full or part-time will have the option of registering their related work experience in lieu of an internship. The 0-credit Work Connections course will include writing learning outcome goals that integrate experience with classroom learning and utilize reflection assignments based on the current work experiences/jobs of the students.
Work Connections Registration Process
In order for a WEC/AU student to have his/her current job qualify for an Augsburg Experience, follow the steps below:
- Identify opportunities with employer to gain experience in a new functional area, or enhance a skill set or experience related to the students major.
- Consult with the Strommen Center staff (Cindy Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-330-1754) prior to the term you wish to register to discuss requirements and to have your proposed work experience approved.
- Register online for the 0-credit course AUG EX4: Work-Connections during the open registration period (Note: prior approval of the experience by Strommen staff is required to register).
- Set learning goals connecting education and work experience.
- Complete the Augsburg Experience reflection paper.
- Students receive a grade of “P” (participation with no credit) when the final paper is satisfactorily completed and approved.