INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN F-1 STATUS
International students in F-1 status wishing to complete an off-campus internship opportunity, must register their internship for academic credit and apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) prior to beginning an internship experience. Below is a step by step guide to registering your internship experience. For additional information on regulations for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), please visit the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Employment page or contact an ISSS Advisor.
1. Attend a CPT Group or 1:1 Advising Session
- Contact the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to schedule your session.
2. Report Your Internship Site
- A confirmation email will be sent directly to your internship site supervisor.
- Internship Site Agreement Form
3. Complete One of the Following Registration Forms
- All internships for credit (2 or 4 credit): Internship Registration Form
- Discuss your internship with your faculty supervisor and department chair and collect their signatures before bringing the form to the Strommen Center.
- All 0-credit internships: Augsburg Experience Internship Form
- Schedule a 15 minute registration appointment with Emily Reinert in Handshake for approval and signature.
4. Meet an ISSS Advisor for CPT Authorization
- Bring the completed CPT Request and Verification Form and the job offer that includes the position title, employer name and address, work hours/week, etc. to your meeting with your ISSS advisor.
- You will receive a new I-20 form with the CPT authorization printed on the 2nd page. Page 2 of this new I-20 form serves as the legal proof to your off-campus employment eligibility during the time period you are authorized.
5. You May Begin Your Internship.
- Due to government regulations, you must have CPT authorization before you begin your internship. You can not start training, orientation, or work before you complete your paperwork with Strommen and ISSS.