Bing tracking

COVID-19: Updates and Plans ›


On-campus Employment

F-1 students are generally permitted to work in any on-campus position while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. On-campus employment does not require the authorization or updates to the SEVIS record.

  • Duration: throughout period student is pursuing a full course of study. This employment is not available after a student completes the course of study.
  • Hours Per Week: limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session. But students are allowed to work 40 hours per week during official school breaks (ie. summer/winter/spring breaks).

To look for current on-campus job opportunities, you should sign in your AugNet account and visit On-Campus Student Jobs through Handshake. Make sure you have selected On-campus to be directed to the correct opportunities as a number of jobs are posted here. You can also work at places such as the Augsburg Bookstore or Dining Services on campus, which are not posted here.

Off-campus Employment or internship experiences

F-1 students may be authorized and documented in SEVIS to work or internship experiences off campus related to their major field of study once they have been in F-1 Status for one year and studied full time. Before you participate in any kind of off-campus employment, volunteering, or internships, please consult an international student advisor. See the types of off campus opportunities below.

Economic Hardship Work Authorization

In very rare circumstances, students can be authorized for Economic Hardship Work Authorization. This requires specific circumstances and close working with your international student advisor.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Once students have completed one year of full time enrollment, and the F-1 Status is maintained, students can apply for Curricular Practical Training or CPT, which is temporary employment or training within their major field of study and integral to the curriculum. Meet with your international student advisor for more details. You must receive approval before you begin with a new I-20.

We work closely with the Strommen Center for Meaningful Work as they serve as the hub for all internships on campus. You will therefore see that the process goes between the Strommen Center AND the ISSS office.

Please be aware that you can not start training, orientation, or work before you complete your paperwork with Strommen and ISSS and have your new I-20 in hand.

How to get started?

CPT: Curricular Practical Training Presentation


Application Steps: Strommen Center’s Internship Registration Steps for International Students

Form 1Internship Site Agreement Form

Form 2: Curricular Practical Training Request and Verification Form 


Students seeking CPT for CREDIT

Form 3: Internship Registration Form for UNDERGRADATES: 


Students seeking CPT for NON-CREDIT (0-Credit):  

Form 4: Augsburg Experience Internship Form


Form 1 (fill in and return to the ISSS office): Curricular Practical Training Request and Verification Form

Form 2: Internship Registration Form for GRADUATES 


Post – Completion Employment or Internships

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

If you plan to do any Optional Practical Training after graduating or are not sure, we recommend you come in at least 4 months in advance of your program end date (the last day of your final semester) to talk through the process, understand how to apply and the timeline. OPT is a benefit of your F-1 status and you have the opportunity to work in your major field of study. ISSS will offer OPT sessions.

We highly recommend attending one of those sessions, and then set up a one to one meeting with an ISSS Advisor to begin the process to apply.  We recommend that you begin working with the Strommen Center a semester before your final semester for support in resume, networking, and interviewing.

Please review the following documents for more detailed guidance and planning:

Step 1OPT: Optional Practical Training Presentation

Step 2: Optional Practical Training Advising Sheet, Faculty Advisor Form & Planning Guide 

Step 3: USCIS Application and Process I-765 Form and Instructions

STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension

After twelve months of Optional Practical Training, students in STEM Eligible fields can apply for STEM OPT. You must be doing your OPT in the major field of study that is a STEM Eligible Field and be working with an E-Verified employer. For more information, please speak with your advisor. You must submit your application before your OPT runs out, but we recommend you work with us 4-5 months before the end of your initial EAD.

STEM Extension Advising Packet & Planning Guide

Training Plan for STEM OPT Students (I-983 Form) 

Social Security Number (SSN)

If this is your first-time to get a job in the United States, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number. ALL F-1 students who apply for an SSN will need to have AN OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT before they can apply.

As an F-1 student, you will need the following documents to apply for a Social Security Number:

Due to COVID-19, the SSN Office has limited operating hours, and they are currently open between 9 am and 4 pm Monday – Friday. Some in-person appointments are accepted, and we advise you to call ahead and make a reservation at this direct number 1.888.847.0392. 
The SSN Office DOES accept mailed in applications as well. DO NOT send original documents in the mailing – ACCEPT FOR YOUR SS-5 DOCUMENT – so make sure you provide copies of originals (see list above). All documents will be returned to you once the process is completed.
  • When sending in your application, make sure to write: NEW APPLICANT on the front page of the envelope. That way the SSN office knows which envelopes to prioritize.
  • We also advise you to send your application by CERTIFIED mail, that way you can track your package.
  • You will hear back from the SSN office about your IN-PERSON INTERVIEW, so make sure you check your mailbox (regular mail) to stay on top of any communications.
  • Once you have completed your interview, ask for a RECEIPT as a PROOF of your interview (in case challenges arise).
1811 Chicago Avenue, Suite 2
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: 800-772-1213
Phone number: 1.888.847.0392


(1) There is no fee to apply.

(2) Twin Cities residence must use the Social Security Card Center to apply. Make sure to get a receipt if you visit in person, and if you mailed in your application, please hold on to your certified mail receipt