All international students (J-1 AND F-1 visa holders) are required to have adequate health insurance for the entire duration of their academic program at Augsburg University (including vacation and school breaks during their visa experience). We encourage all students to carry their health insurance card at all times, and be aware of your options if you get sick or in case of emergency.
The following minimum level of health insurance during the visa period is required:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
Options for our Exchange Students: Worldwide Exchange Partners
GEOBLUE Health Insurance
Augsburg provides health insurance for J-1 international students through GeoBlue – this is a Blue Cross Blue Shield Network for those who do not have insurance in their home countries. Find out specific information about the plan on their online portal. Review this presentation for more information about accessing health insurance in the United States.
We advise you to take time to read what is included in your health plan coverage. The GeoBlue Student Member Guide for 2021-2022 can be viewed here. If you have additional questions in regards to GeoBlue, please contact Mike Fetting at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the App and your Health Insurance Card
If you are a GeoBlue member, you can download the app or request a card in the following ways:
1. Download the “GeoBlue” App and have constant access to your card on your phone, in addition to many other member services.
2. Register or Log In as a member at www.geobluestudents.com, where you can request a card (laminated copy) that can be sent to your Augsburg mail box, or ours (CB #68), or you can print a card. You will need a certificate number – we can provide that information for you.
3. You can call GeoBlue member services and request that they send you a card.
Preview this presentation about Accessing your Health Insurance in the United States and is geared towards the GeoBlue Insurance.
For questions about your medical plan or what you can use your plan for:
Toll free within the U.S. call 1.844.268.2686
Outside the U.S. call +1.610.263.2847
Augsburg’s contact person for GeoBlue is Mike Fetting and he can be reached at email@example.com.
Norwegian exchange students who are studying in the U.S., and receive student loan funds through Lånekassen, are automatically covered by the Norwegian national health care. The coverage from HELFO meets the level of health insurance requirements listed above. Each Norwegian student is responsible for understanding this healthcare coverage while studying at Augsburg University.
Please review the information from HELSE NORGE (HELFO) regarding Norwegian National Healthcare for Norwegian students studying outside of Norway. It is your responsibility to confirm your enrollment in, and that you have an understanding of this insurance before coming to study at Augsburg University.
A message in Norwegian below:
Dersom du er norsk statsborger og får støtte fra Lånekassen for å studere i utlandet, vil du automatisk få et dokument/brev fra HELFO som bekrefter dine helserettigheter utenfor Norge. Dokumentet vil bli sendt til din folkeregistrerte adresse. Studenter uten støtte fra Lånekassen kan søke om frivillig medlemskap og få de samme rettighetene. Husk å ta med deg dokumentasjonen du får i posten til USA!