Minnesota State ID Card
As an F-1 student studying at Augsburg University, you are eligible to apply for a MN State ID card. If you are a first-time applicant, you will have to:
- Bring one primary and one secondary document with you. For a complete list of primary and secondary documents, please refer to the identification requirements.
- Go to a DVS Office Location that accepts first time ID Card applications. The closest two locations are Government Center and Midtown Exchange.
- Fill out the application form at the center.
- Pay the required $19.25 fee by credit card (select locations), check or cash.
- Have your photo taken at the office.
- Your new state ID will be mailed to you in four to six weeks.
- Carry your current identification and the stamped yellow receipt you receive when you apply until it arrives.
State Driver’s License
If you are interested in applying for a Minnesota driver’s license, the right type for you is Class D. To obtain a Minnesota driver’s license, you must pass knowledge (written) test, a vision test, and a driving test.
- Prepare for the written test and road sign test by studying the Minnesota Driver’s Manual.
- Bring required identification to a Driver and Vehicle Services Exam Station during certain hours. You will have your photo taken and take both your vision test and a knowledge (written) test there. Go to a DVS Office Location that accepts first time Driver’s License applications. The closest two locations are Government Center and Midtown Exchange.
- Receive a driver’s instruction permit and start practicing driving with a licensed driver in the front passenger seat.
- Pass the road test. We recommend that you make an appointment online or by calling (651) 284-1234.
- Apply for a Minnesota driver’s license. You will need to:
- Present required identification and your social security number.
- Present your current MN instruction permit or non-Minnesota driver’s license.
- Present white and yellow copy of your successful road test results.
- Pay appropriate fees ($25.25 by credit card (select locations), check or cash).
For more information, please reference our handout and checklist.