Social Security Number (SSN)
If this is your first-time to getting a job in the United States, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number. ALL F-1 students who apply for an SSN will need to have AN OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT before they can apply.
As an F-1 student, you will need the following documents to apply for a Social Security Number:
- Your valid Passport
- Your current I-20
- Most recent I-94 (get a copy of your electronic I-94 record)
- The Augsburg On-campus Employment Verification Letter is signed and dated by your employer and an ISSS advisor at Augsburg University.
- A completed Social Security Application (SS-5 Form). See an example here.
- When sending in your application, make sure to write: NEW APPLICANT on the front page of the envelope. That way the SSN office knows which envelopes to prioritize.
- We also advise you to send your application by CERTIFIED mail, that way you can track your package.
- You will hear back from the SSN office about your IN-PERSON INTERVIEW, so make sure you check your mailbox (regular mail) to stay on top of any communications.
- Once you have completed your interview, ask for a RECEIPT as a PROOF of your interview (in case of challenges arise).
(1) There is no fee to apply.
(2) Twin Cities residents must use the Social Security Card Center to apply. Make sure to get a receipt if you visit in person, and if you mailed in your application, please hold on to your certified mail receipt