Augsburg now offers undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to earn a K-12 ESL license. ESL teachers work with English Language Learners to help them develop proficiency in both social and academic language.
The ESL license can be earned as an initial teaching license or can be added to an existing license. ESL content courses are offered in a hybrid format, meeting on campus an average of once a month. Students pursuing ESL as an initial license will also take core education courses, which are offered on our weekend college schedule.
Undergraduate Level licensure
ESL is also offered as an undergraduate major through the weekend college schedule. Along with the major, students can achieve K-12 ESL licensure. The major consists of both the 8 education core courses and the 7 ESL content area courses.
Augsburg students (teacher candidate) progress through the program at several transition points. Teacher candidates must successfully complete the requirement at each transition point. Your adviser and the program assessment coordinator monitor your progress at critical points. These transition points include:
Admission to the Education Department – English as a Second Language – Undergraduate Program – Initial License
Requirements to be admitted to the Education Department include:
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in all college coursework.
- Taking the MTLE test of basic skills in reading, writing and math.
- One recommendation from an Augsburg faculty and another recommendation from a person who knows you and/or your work (excluding family members).
- A signed candidate statement form.
- Completing an entrance survey
Mid-Program Transition: To stay in the program you must be able to
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in their major and education coursework.
- Achieve no lower than a 2.0 in all major, and required licensure courses.
- Demonstrate ability to work successfully with K-12 students in field placement settings throughout their programs.
- Demonstrate professional behavior in on-campus courses.
Admission to Student Teaching: In order to apply to student teach you will need to:
- Maintain all required GPA standards: 2.5 minimum overall and in major.
- Pass or demonstrate significant progress in completion of MTLE Basic Skills testing.
- Achieve a minimum of 2.0 in all required courses for undergraduate candidates and 2.5 for graduate candidates in graduate level courses.
- Complete all required coursework, including clinical hours, or petitioned for an exception.
- Pass all MTLE Basic Skills Tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics
- Remain in good standing within the department.
Finishing Student Teaching and Completion of Licensure Requirements: You must be able to:
- Successfully complete student teaching and all student teaching requirements
- Complete the Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA)
- Pass the MTLE Pedagogy and Content Test(s) for your licensure area
- Complete a Criminal Background Check
- Complete an Exit Survey for the program