The K-6 elementary allows you to teach in grades K-6. It can be expanded to include endorsements in middle level of math, science, social studies, or language arts and pre-primary for aged 3-5. Augsburg students (teacher candidate) progress through the program at several transition points. Teacher candidates must successfully complete the requirement at each transition point. Your adviser and the program assessment coordinator monitor your progress at critical points. These transition points include:
Admission to the Elementary Education Undergraduate Program – Initial License
Admission requirements include:
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in all college coursework.
- Taking the NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS) Test of basic skills in reading, writing and math.
- One recommendation from an Augsburg faculty and another recommendation from a person who knows you and/or your work (excluding family members).
- A signed candidate statement form.
- Completing an entrance survey
Mid-Program Transition: To stay in the program you must be able to
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in their major and education coursework.
- Achieve no lower than a 2.0 in all major, and required licensure courses.
- Demonstrate ability to work successfully with K-12 students in field placement settings throughout their programs.
- Demonstrate professional behavior in on-campus courses.
Admission to Student Teaching: In order to apply to student teach you will need to:
- Maintain all required GPA standards: 2.5 minimum overall and in major.
- Pass or demonstrate significant progress in completion of NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS) Test.
- Achieve a minimum of 2.0 in all required courses for undergraduate candidates and 2.5 for graduate candidates in graduate level courses.
- Complete all required coursework, including clinical hours, or petitioned for an exception.
- Pass all NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS) Tests in Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
- Remain in good standing within the department.
Finishing Student Teaching and Completion of Licensure Requirements: You must be able to:
- Successfully complete student teaching and all student teaching requirements.
- Complete the Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA).
- Pass the MTLE Pedagogy and Content Test(s) for licensure area.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check.
- Complete an Exit Survey for the program.