Bing tracking

COVID-19: Updates and Plans ›

ESL Licensure Requirements and Courses 2021-2022

The K-12 English as a Second Language (ESL) undergraduate major is available as an initial license as well as an endorsement to an existing license. This license qualifies teachers to work with K-12 students for whom English is a second language across a range of subject areas. A prerequisite to program admission is two years of high school level or one year of college level language instruction.

The K-12 ESL program is offered in a hybrid format with a mix of face-to-face and online instruction throughout the semester. Program courses are offered in a weekday evening* framework during the academic year and summer semester to make them accessible to working adults.

Major and Licensure Requirements

Required Non-major Courses:

  • HPE 115 – Chemical Dependency Education
  • ENL 111 – Effective Writing II
  • Modern language prerequisites (2 years high school or 1 year college language)

Required Education Courses for ESL:

  • EDC 200 – Orientation to Education in an Urban Setting**
  • Complete either EDC 206 or both EDC 210 and EDC 211
    • EDC 206 – Diversity/Minnesota American Indians
    • EDC 210 – Diversity in the School (or EDC 110) and EDC 211 – Minnesota American Indians
  • EDC 220 – Educational Technology
  • EDC 310 – Learning and Development in an Educational Setting
  • EDC 410 – Learners with Special Needs**
  • ESE 325 – Creating Learning Environments
  • EED 325 – K-6 Methods: Literacy
  • EED 326 – Elementary Reading K-6 Field Experience**

ESL Major Courses

  • ESL 310 – Second Language Acquisition
  • ESL 320 – Introduction to Linguistics
  • ESL 330 – History and Structure of the English Language
  • ESL 340 – ESL Literacy**
  • ESL 410 – ESL Testing and Evaluation
  • ESL 420 – ESL Methods **
  • ESL 490 – Language, Culture, and Schools (Keystone requirement)
  • EDC 483 – Student Teaching: Initial License in PE, Music, Art, or ESL
  • ESL 489 – Teacher Performance Assessment and Student Teaching Seminar

A minimum GPA of 2.50 overall, 2.50 in the major, and grades of P in student teaching courses are required for licensure as well as C- or better in all required core and education major courses.

Graduation Skills

Graduation Skills in Critical Thinking (CT), Speaking (S), and Writing (W) are embedded throughout the offered courses and are met by completing the major.

Transfer students must consult an advisor about potential adjustments to their course requirements to fulfill each of these skills.

For a complete list of courses and descriptions, see the Course Description Search.