#AuggiesGoGlobal Featured Student: Danny P.

Did you know – as an Augsburg College student, you have access to study abroad programs in 90 different countries around the globe (including USA programs)? Here is one Auggie’s global story in our new blog segment #AuggiesGoGlobal:

Danny P - 2
Danny in Dublin

Major:
English literature, language, theory, and creative writing

Minor:
Business administration

When did you study abroad?
Fall 2015 semester

Where, and on which program, did you go abroad?
Dublin– Writer’s Program

Why did you choose that program? 

I chose this program because it fit perfectly with both of my majors. It was a good fit because it helped me to get credits toward graduating and also was a good country to live in for my first time out of the US. While it is not extremely similar to the states, Ireland offered some familiarity to me as also being a westernized country, which made the process of culture shock a bit easier to handle.

Did this program help you reach your academic goals?

Danny P - 1This program helped me to gain credits in both of my majors, as well as some digital marketing experience and knowledge which is applicable to my minor. It also fit in well to part of my vocation which is creative writing. Overall, the program offered a very nice balance for me.

Is there anything that surprised you about studying abroad?

I think that, because Ireland is an English speaking and westernized country, I expected it to be very similar to the US. This was pretty far from the truth however, and I underestimated the cultural differences of Ireland. Even the language is different in terms of colloquialisms, phrasing, and just overall style of speaking. I found the Irish English (if that is the proper thing to call it) very fun to listen to. Instead of dying off or getting lower and quieter at the end of a sentence, as is typical in many parts of the states, people in Ireland and other parts of Europe seemed to end their sentences on a high note, putting emphasis closer to the end of a sentence. Not only is this more enjoyable to listen to, but it is also much more fun to speak this way as well. After a month or two I found myself talking a bit differently, and not consciously either. This was a very pleasant surprise, but unfortunately it has wore off quite a bit after being back in the states for the last few months.

What skills or qualities do you have now that you didn’t before study abroad?

I think, overall, I just have a better sense of navigation now than before. I not only can find my way around a city much more easily, but I find that I am able to navigate through different situations and contexts much more easily than before. I think that becoming acquainted with a new culture allowed me to be more conscious and aware of culture, thus being more attentive to my own and allowing me to understand it more deeply than before.

What advice do you have for students who want to study abroad?

My advice is that if you are someone who is feeling a bit unsure or hesitant about studying abroad, just go for it. It may be a bit scary, that’s normal, but I promise you it will be momentous in terms of self-development and broadening your own perspectives on life. Study abroad is a very special opportunity, and one that a lot of people never get the chance to take, so challenge yourself to be bold and jump into the unknown. It will forever be worth it and you won’t be able to imagine a life that didn’t include studying abroad.

Dublin_Cliffs of Moher_Adventuring_Danny Polaschek
Cliffs of Moher