The dual degree program gives students the benefits of studying business administration and leadership in a coordinated program. It leverages Augsburg’s long tradition of graduate leadership training via the MA in Leadership with the demand for business education through our successful MBA program. This comprehensive dual degree program provides students with a unique credential and a full set of skills to lead and manage an organization, preparing individuals to thrive in today’s interconnected world.
ADMISSION TO THE DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM
Applicants apply to a home program—either MA in Leadership or MBA. Once a student is admitted, they will have an initial advising meeting and are required to meet with an adviser each year. As the students approach degree completion in their home program, they will submit an abbreviated application for their second degree.
Admission for both degree programs is handled on a “rolling” basis and requires applicants to hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions are required as well as a current résumé and two recommendations.
MAL Home Program Track
All courses are 3 credits unless noted. Students take the following leadership courses to complete the Masters in Leadership degree (33 credits):
- ML 505 – Foundations of Leadership
- ML 535 – Organizational Theory and Leadership (Focus Area 1)
- ML 563 – Leadership in a Global Society -OR- ML 560 – Cultural Competence and Effective Leadership (Focus Area 2)
- ML 574 – Strategic Leadership (Focus Area 3)
- ML 514 – Evaluating Empirical Research
- 5 ML Elective Courses: See MAL website for options
- ML 585 – Integrating the Theory and Practice of Responsible Leadership
The efficiency of the dual degree means that only one course must be taken in three focus areas between the two degrees.
Graduate from MAL
Required from the MBA program (21 credits):
- MBA 570 – Quantitative Decision Making for Managers
- MBA 520 – Accounting for Managers
- MBA 510 – Managerial Economics
- MBA 530 – Managerial Finance
- MBA 540 – Business and Professional Ethics
- MBA 550 – Marketing Management
- MBA 580 – Management Consulting Project (Student Learning Experience)
EARNING THE DUAL DEGREE DURING OR AFTER THE MBA OR MA IN LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
Currently enrolled MBA or MAL students, or alumni who wish to return to Augsburg, may add the additional degree to their existing degree by completing most of the same requirements listed. Director’s approval is needed for substitutions.
Returning students may complete an abbreviated application form after consultation with the MBA or MAL program director. Upon entering the MBA program, an online quantitative skills course is required. This is used as a platform to enhance skills and knowledge for the MBA quantitative coursework.
Students with an MBA will complete 3 required and 4 elective MA in Leadership courses. Students with an MA in Leadership who wish to add the dual degree will take a minimum of 7 required MBA courses.
Interested in the dual degree with the MBA PROGRAM FIRST? VISIT THIS LINK.