Most employers say that related work or intern experience is one of the key things they look for when hiring new graduates, and graduate schools often look for internship and work experience as well. Combining one or more internship learning experiences with your Augsburg education will serve you well. You will be able to:
- Apply what you learn in your courses, making connections between theory and practice
- Gain new knowledge, understanding, and skills
- Discover what you want to do, or don’t want to do as a potential career path
NOW THAT YOU HAVE AN INTERNSHIP, WHAT ARE YOUR OPTIONS?
Choose if internship is required for your major or if you want to earn 2 or 4 credits and fulfill your Augsburg Experience. Must register your internship, complete Internship Site Supervisor form, and attend Internship Orientation Session.
- Internship required for major: Check to see if a specified faculty member in your major oversees internships. Psychology and Sociology offer internship seminars.
- Elective credits for major: Find a faculty member from your major to supervise your academic internship experience.
- General elective credits: Find a faculty member teaching in an area related to your internship to supervise your academic internship.
Choose if you do NOT need any academic credits towards graduation, but DO need to fulfill your Augsburg Experience graduation requirement. You will not receive any credits for this.
- WEC/AU students: Register for “Work Connections” with Cindy Peterson (email@example.com).
- Day students: Register for “Non-Credit Internship” by completing the Internship Site Supervisor form and attending Internship Orientation Session.
Choose if you do NOT need any academic credits or your Augsburg Experience for graduation, or if the employer does not require you to complete an internship for credit. Proceed with the internship on your own. You do not need to meet with Career and Internship Services, but are welcome to report your internship to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOOKING FOR AN INTERNSHIP?
There are several resources to help you get started.
- Meet with a staff person in Strommen Career & Internship Services to discuss your interests, skills and goals and get resources to find internships in your interest area
- Stop by for a 15 minute appointment during our quick stop hours
- Schedule an appointment by calling 612-330-1148 or stopping by Christensen Center Suite 100
- Search for employers and organizations that offer opportunities related to your career field or major: Resources for Your Major
- Use your network, talk with faculty members, family, and friends to develop their your own internship leads at places that align with your interests
- Check out leads from Augsburg job & internship board: AugPost (login with your Augnet username & password)
- Search for posted internship opportunities on the various internship search sites available on our Job & Internship Search page
- If you are interested in an internship abroad, visit the Augsburg Abroad office for a current listing of opportunities offered by Augsburg and partner programs