Click here to start filling out your application for the Fall 2015 River Semester. Deadline for registration is March 15, 2015. 13 of the 20 spots are now filled.
- Spend 4 months traveling the length of the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans by canoe, bus, boat, and train
- Conduct field research on topics such as stream ecology, the Clean Water Act, agriculture in the watershed, political organizing around environmental issues, and urban riverfront revitalization
- Explore the history, literature, food, music, and culture of the Mississippi River from the headwaters to the Delta
- Gain skills tailored to fit the needs of partner businesses and institutions including graduate schools, nonprofits, and government agencies
- Attend town hall meetings and environmental organizations in river towns
- Meet with other college and university students along the river
- Hear guest lectures and performances by local experts and artists
Program partners include Wilderness Inquiry, the Wild River Academy, Quapaw Outfitters, Louisiana Marine Consortium, the University of Minnesota’s River Life Program, Works Progress, and Imagining America.
Check out the River Semester Prezi.
Blog post on why we need a river semester.