The John Engman Writing Prize
The John Engman Writing Prize, a literary competition sponsored by Murphy Square and the Augsburg English Department, is awarded each year to promising writers. The 2016-17 submission deadline is Sunday, December 18. Judges of the competition will select winners in each of the categories of fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction.
To enter writers must submit the following:
Short Fiction – One complete short story of not more than 15 pages.
Creative Non-fiction – One complete piece not longer than 15 pages.
Poetry – At least three poems.
All writers must be enrolled at Augsburg College and may enter each of the categories as often as they wish, but they may only win in one. Names of writers must not be on the works submitted.
The prize was named in honor of poet and Augsburg alumnus John Engman who died in 1996. Judges for the contest are English Department faculty members. The judges reserve the right to withhold awards if entries in specific categories are not of winning quality; they may also increase the number of awards in a category that has attracted entries of obvious merit. Winners will be notified in January.
The John R. Mitchell Academy of American Poets Prize
This competition, endowed by Jean Mitchell in honor of John Mitchell, former poet and faculty member of the Augsburg English Department, is for the best group of three poems by an Augsburg undergraduate student. The award includes a $100 prize and a certification from the Academy of American Poets. A poet not affiliated with Augsburg College will judge the contest.
Deadline for entries: March 18, 2016
Submission information for the 2015-2016 prize:
- Poems must be sent as separate attachments to waterman (at) augsburg.edu.
- Writers should put MITCHELL PRIZE in the subject line.
- The email must contain the titles of the poems, and the poet’s full name, campus address, and permanent address.
- Winners will be announced by Augsburg College in April.
- In the summer, the Academy will send a letter of congratulations and a certificate to each winner or honorable mention recipient. If two winners are chosen, the prize money will be divided between them.