Applying for a Student Visa

student-f1-visa The F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa category requires the student to demonstrate that his or her stay in the United States will be a temporary one. The Nonimmigrant Visa (NIV) section of a U.S. Consulate is responsible for processing all non-immigrant cases.

  • Prior to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy visit, the SEVIS I-901 fee must be paid.
  • Apply for the F-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.
  • The student must be in possession of a passport valid for a minimum of six months from the date of the expiration.
  • A consular officer must be satisfied that the prospective applicant for the F-1 visa will depart the United States after finishing studies.
  • The F (student) visa requires proof that the student has a residence in a foreign country that he or she has no intention of abandoning. Proof may consist of bank accounts, ownership of property, or evidence of family and familial assets.
  • Student must possess a valid SEVIS I-20 properly completed by the Designated School Official (DSO).
  • The student must demonstrate that he or she has sufficient funds to meet expenses while studying in the United States.
  • The student must demonstrate that he or she is sufficiently fluent in the English language.

Issuance of F-1 Visa

Once approved, the F-1 visa will be placed by the consular officer in your passport, which will note the validity date and the number of entries.

SEVIS I-20 and supporting financial documents will be placed in a sealed envelope. Please do not open this envelope.

If you encounter any problems obtaining your visa, contact a staff member from International Student & Scholar Services.