Theft is by far the most common crime on college campuses. Most thefts are crimes of opportunity and can be prevented by taking simple precautions.
- Keep valuables with you at all times or leave them at home.
- Record the make, model, and serial numbers of all valuables and keep the records in a safe place.
- Engrave your property with your driver license or some other identification number.
- Report stolen property to the Security Department as soon as possible.
- Leave textbooks unattended, particularly toward the end of a semester. It is common for thieves to sell stolen textbooks back to the stores.
- Leave credit cards, checks, or other valuables when you “check your bag” in the bookstore while shopping.
- Leave your bookbag unattended in classrooms, library, study lounges, etc.
- Carry valubles such as your wallet, jewlery, or credit cards in your bookbag.