The Academic Behavior Strategist (ABS) special education license focuses on the learning needs of students with mild to moderate emotional or behavioral disorders (EBD), specific learning disabilities (SLD), developmental/cognitive disabilities (DCD), autism spectrum disorders (ASD), and other health disabilities (OHD).
Students can start the program in the day school to complete core and elementary requirements. Most courses in the special education core (later in the program) are only offered in the evening format.
Augsburg students (teacher candidates) progress through the program at several transition points. Teacher candidates must successfully complete the requirement to move through each step. Your adviser and the program assessment coordinator monitor your progress at critical points. These transition points include:
Admission to the Education Department – Special Education Licensure Undergraduate Program – Initial License
Requirements to be admitted to the Education Department include:
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in all college coursework
- Taking the MTLE test of basic skills in reading, writing and math or ACT Plus Writing or SAT
- One recommendation from an Augsburg faculty.
- A signed candidate statement form
- Completing an entrance survey
Mid-Program Transition: To stay in the program you must be able to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in their major and education coursework
- Achieve no lower than a 2.0 in all major, and required licensure courses
- Demonstrate ability to work successfully with K-12 students in field placement settings throughout the programs
- Demonstrate professional behavior in on-campus courses
Admission to Student Teaching: In order to apply to student teach you will need to:
- Maintain all required GPA standards: 2.5 minimum overall and in major.
- Pass or demonstrate significant progress in completion of MTLE Basic Skills, or ACT Plus Writing, or SAT equivalent.
- Achieve a minimum of 2.0 in all required courses for undergraduate candidates and 2.5 for graduate candidates in graduate level courses.
- Complete all required coursework (including clinical hours) or petition for an exception
- Remain in good standing within the department.
Finishing Student Teaching and Completion of Licensure Requirements: You must be able to:
- Successfully complete student teaching and all student teaching requirements
- Complete the Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA)
- Take the MTLE Pedagogy and Content Test(s) for your licensure area
- Complete a Criminal Background Check
- Complete an Exit Survey for the program