As you prepare for your move to the U.S. to join the Augsburg family, the best way to ensure a smooth and easy transition, is to plan ahead. And we’re here to assist!
Before finalizing your travel dates, please double check the international orientation and move-in (if you elect to live on campus) dates. As a reminder, you may not enter the United States more than 30 days prior to your program start date.
Prepare Travel Documents
Be prepared to provide the following documents at the port of entry to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer. Please note that CBP inspection takes place before you collect your luggage, so you must have these documents on your person. Do not put your travel documents in your checked luggage.
- Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1)
- Supporting financial documentation
For additional information on how to prepare for your arrival, please visit this website.
General Packing Tips
Just like any trip, packing the right items and bringing the correct documents are essential if you want to avoid unnecessary hassles. To start your packing, here are some tips that you may find useful:
- In your carry-on, keep a change of clothes, toiletries, valuables, important documents (passports, visas, arrival instructions) and medication.
- Check airline regulations for weight, size, and number of bags. Overweight charges can be pretty hefty!
- Pack what you can carry by yourself.
What to pack?
- Bring personal items such as photos of family/friends/pets, books, music, camera, etc.…
- Consider packing some traditional clothing/crafts/recipes as there may be occasions for you to share more about your culture and traditions with the community.
- Pack clothes for different weather! We are lucky to experience all four seasons here in Minnesota.
- Carry your adaptors if you are bringing your own electronics. Remember, the U.S. Voltage is 110V, which is different from other countries.
- A good bilingual dictionary, since it might not be possible to obtain one for your language in the United States.
- Professional clothing in case of a site visit to a company or job/internship interview.
- Money – we recommend bringing a minimum of $100 for when you first arrive.
Please keep in mind that there will also be arranged shopping trips before/during international orientation to stores like Target and IKEA. That way, you will be able to shop for any items you may not want to carry.
Can I ship items to Augsburg?
You may also ship items ahead of time to the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office. Address the shipment to your name so that we know who it belongs to. Please use the following format and address:
C/o Jie He
2211 Riverside Ave. CB #68
Minneapolis, MN 55454
What to bring for my residence hall?
A suggested list of items to bring and those not to bring can be found on the Residence Life Website.
How about bed sheets?
- Bring your own – If you plan to bring your own bedsheets, please keep it in mind that the Augsburg beds are all twin-size-extra-long.
- Buy when you arrive during the shopping trips
- Purchase through College-Ave