Welcome to Augsburg College Residence Life!
Welcome to your home on campus. First-year students live in Urness Hall. We in the Department of Residence Life look forward to helping you navigate your adventure through college.
The First Year Residence Hall Director, Anthony, would like to welcome you all to the Augsburg community! He is really excited that you will be joining us and will work tirelessly to make sure your experience will be great.
As a Residence Hall Director, Anthony supervises the RA staff and makes sure the day to day operations of the building run smoothly. Anthony’s office is located in the Urness/Mortensen lobby.
As part of the First Year Residential Experience there will be a Resident Advisor (RA) on your floor. Your RA helps to create a healthy and inclusive environment for all residents, as well as serving as a resource to help you navigate your first year.
WHAT TO BRING AND WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME
What to Bring
- Desk lamp
- Waste basket
- Bucket or basket to carry toiletries
- Storage crates
- UL approved multiple outlet strips (with circuit breaker)
- Extra long bed sheets (36″ x 80″)
- Shower sandals
- Fridges 5 cubic feet or less
- Telephone (except Oren Gateway residents will have a digital telephone provided)
To make your room your home away from home, consider bringing posters, pictures, decorations, and favorites from your bedroom. Other optional items include a stereo, computer, TV, DVD player, video games, and coffee maker.
What to Leave at Home
To prevent injuries, fires, and loss of property and lives, you may not use or store the following items in the residence hall:
- Fridges larger than 5 cubic feet
- Flammable fluids
- Potpourri pots with an open flame
- Hot plates
- Pizza ovens
- Air conditioners
- Illegal weapons
- Fireworks, firecrackers, or bottle rockets
- Hunting items
- Explosive devices
- Halogen lamps
Appliances must have enclosed heating elements and have the underwriter’s laboratory approval. The College reserves the right to, and will, remove unauthorized or dangerous electrical appliances, lighting, or items.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
In order to pick up your keys, you must have completed the online Emergency Contact Information form. Interacting with Augsburg College Records and Registration, please log on to Augnet using your username and password. Click on Records and Registration which directs you to a new site in which you must click on Student Information/Contact. You can find it at Records and Registration on Inside Augsburg.
Completion of this form is required for all students living on campus. The information entered on this form will aid the college in providing assistance in the event of an emergency. All information is private and is used solely by the Augsburg College administrative staff.
Please have the following information ready when you fill out the form:
- Home address,
- Cell phone number, and
- Emergency contact information.
RESIDENCE LIFE GUIDEBOOK
The Residence Life Guidebook has been revised for the 2016-2017 year. Please take some time to look over our residence hall and campus policies and procedures.
Laundry facilities are provided by Coinmach Corporation. Laundry facilities are located in each building and are available 24 hours a day. The machines are FREE to wash and FREE to dry. Use your smartphone to check to see which machines are available and receive text alerts when your cycle is done.
Tips for if your cable is not working
- Check all connections for television – power cord, coax cable, connections for additional devices.
- Check settings for additional devices – Gaming systems, Apple TV, DVD, BlueRay, ROKU, Etc. The television will require the user to switch settings for different devices depending on which input on the television the device is plugged into.
- Understand television and devices that will be connected to the television.
- If the television is new “out of the box” a channel scan may be required
- It will be important to read the manual for the specific television as this process can vary by make and model.
- Important to note, it is unlikely that there would be an outage in some residents’ rooms and not the entire campus. If a resident is experiencing an outage it will likely be due to an above mentioned issue unless the entire campus is out.
- Make sure power is turned on.
- Make sure batteries are in the remote.Make sure to read television manual to see if remote needs to be programmed.
PERSONAL PROPERTY AND RENTERS INSURANCE
Augsburg College is not responsible for lost/stolen/damaged personal property. We encourage residents to have homeowner’s/renter’s insurance or make sure they are covered under their parents’ policy. If you have roommates, we also encourage you to have open discussions regarding utilization of property. We provide a Roommate Agreement form to assist with this conversation.
LOFTS – FUTONS – MICROFRIDGE
Interested in lofting this school year — look no further than BedLoft, leader in college residential lofting supplies and resources. Although not required, the addition of a loft can provide desired space as you transition to shared living. Check out BedLoft’s website for more information.