Program for East African future teachers
Augsburg College’s Education Department is a recipient of the Minnesota legislature’s generous Collaborative Urban Educator (CUE) funding. The CUE program’s purpose is to increase the diversity of the teacher workforce in Minnesota. Our program specifically targets East African future teachers: East African Student to Teacher (EAST). The goal of the program is to recruit, retain, and license highly qualified students who wish to become K-12 teachers. EAST covers tuition costs towards initial licensure.
We are pleased to announce EAST Scholarship Program will be accepting applications for Fall 2017 cohort* and the deadline is April 1st, 2017.
To learn more about the EAST scholarship application process, admission process to Augsburg and our teacher licensure preparation program, please attend one of the following information sessions.Registration is required.
* contingent on CUE funding for 2017-2019 cycle
To be eligible to apply for an EAST scholarship, you have to meet the following requirements:
- Admitted as an undergraduate or a graduate student at Augsburg College
- If you are an undergraduate transfer, you must have completed at least 2 years (approx. 60 transferable credits)
- Of East African descent and multilingual (preferred)
- Admissible to the teaching licensure program with a minimum of 2.5 GPA
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident and eligible to work in the U.S.
- Work/volunteer experience working with children and youth
- Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examination/NES Essential Skills scores required *
- Click HERE to register for the MTLE/NES Essential Skills (Math, Reading & Writing)
- Scores must be reported by the scholarship application deadline
*Please note that you are not required to pass the exam to be considered for the scholarship
If you are awarded an EAST scholarship, you must:
- Attend monthly EAST meetings and individual advising meetings and, keep in close communication with all Education department faculty and staff
- Maintain a 3.0 or above each semester
- Commit to teaching in Minnesota for at least 3 years after licensure completion
STEPS TO APPLY
- Attend an EAST MAE/AU Information Session
- Apply to Augsburg College by March 15, 2017
- Take the MTLE/NES Essential Skills Exam (Math, Reading & Writing)
- Apply to the EAST Scholarship Program by April 1, 2017 (Application link will be provided once you are accepted to Augsburg College)
- Awardees will be notified in May and sign contracts by May 30th
Offered at Minneapolis and Rochester campus.
View current and past EAST SCHOLAR PROFILES.
Please send all inquiries to email@example.com or call 612-330-1345