We’re glad you’ve decided to apply!
The application window is now open for the Summer 2018 intake.Start Your Application
Applicants will be considered to begin the program with the 2018 Summer Residency, which will be held at Augsburg in Minneapolis from July 19th to July 29th.
Now accepting applications on a rolling basis – Limited space available for 2018
All applications submitted by February 1 will be reviewed after the priority deadline. Decisions will be released in early March. Under certain circumstances for individual applicants, an earlier review and admission decision may be requested and granted. Please contact the admissions office with information about your situation if you would like to request an early review.
After February 1, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and given an admission decision based upon space availability in the applicant’s genre.
- Completed online application form
- Official transcripts from bachelor degree granting institution. Transcripts must also be submitted for any credits earned after earning your bachelor’s degree, if applicable. Military veterans must submit official transcripts from each school previously attended in order to utilize military benefits.
- One Letter of Recommendation (an additional letter may required at the request of the director)
- Creative Sample for the genre to which you are applying
- Fiction and Creative Nonfiction: 20 pages, double-spaced
- Poetry: 15-20 pages, single-spaced
- Playwriting and Screenwriting: 15-30 pages, standard script format
- Personal Essay (1-3 pages)
- Describe your goals as a writer and how you see an MFA in Creative Writing helping you reach these goals.
- Tell us about a moment when you knew you wanted to do something with your writing.
- As you work toward your MFA, you will receive a great deal of critical commentary on your creative work. You will also be expected to take part in the analysis of fellow MFA candidates’ writing during the workshop sessions. How do you react to receiving and giving this type of commentary?
Submitting official transcripts
Official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions for undergraduate and graduate level coursework must be submitted directly to the Graduate Admissions Office by electronic transfer or by mail.
By electronic transfer: email@example.com (if prompted by your institution for an email address)
Graduate Admissions Office, CB 65
2211 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454