The 2018-19 and 2019-20 Financial Aid Instructions: Fall 2018 – Summer 2020
Applying for financial aid can sometimes be an intimidating process. We are here to help guide you through it by providing step by step instructions on how to apply. The 18-19 FAFSA is intended for students who plan to register in the 2018-2019 school year. The 2019-20 FAFSA is intended for students who plan to register in the 2019-2020 school year. By submitting a FAFSA, we will be able to determine what grants and student loans are available. Students wishing to be considered for only scholarships each year do not need to submit a FAFSA but should e-mail email@example.com to let us know.
Steps and Deadlines to Apply for Financial Aid – Fall 2018-Summer 2020
- Get a copy of your tax return.
- For the 2018-19 FAFSA, you will need your 2016 tax return.
- For 2019-20 FAFSA. you will need your 2017 tax return.
- Determine if you need to file. Review some tax tips. Remember, just because a student isn’t required to complete a tax return doesn’t mean they shouldn’t. If money was withheld from their paychecks, they should file. It’s possible they’ll get back most or all of what was withheld.
- Get help filing, if you need it. There are many free tax sites for those who qualify. Find one near you.
- If you do not plan to file, skip to step 5.
- File your appropriate year’s federal income taxes electronically (both parent(s) and student) as early as possible (if you haven’t already). After filing your taxes, allow the IRS to process your return (2-3 weeks for taxes filed electronically, 6-8 weeks for paper taxes) before filling out your FAFSA.
- Complete your FAFSA. Tax filers, remember to use your 2016 for the 18-19 FAFSA and 2017 taxes for the 19-20 FAFSA (accuracy is important to avoid any processing delays). Make sure to submit the FAFSA by signing with your FSA ID. Augsburg’s school code is 002334. Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors before you click submit.
- If you plan to file taxes but haven’t done so by May 1st, you should still complete your FAFSA. Use estimated numbers and mark your tax filing status as ‘Will File’.
- Attention Minnesota residents only: Look carefully at the confirmation page immediately upon completion of the online FAFSA. If you are prompted to apply for MN state-based financial aid, click on the link and answer the additional required questions (MN State Grant Questionnaire).
- Submit Additional Documentation as Requested. Some students will be selected for Verification. Verification is a process in which the Financial Aid office must verify certain information that the student and/or parent provided on the FAFSA. Students selected for Verification will be notified via email by Augsburg on what additional documentation is required. You can also “Track Your Financial Aid” and view the documents tab to see if additional documentation is required. Review Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details about each document.
Student Loan Options
Students may also wish to utilize student loans in order to help cover the cost of their education. Information about federal and private student loans can be found on your loans webpage.
Policies and Regulations
Please review the policies and disclosures tab to the left to make sure you understand your tuition charges and your financial aid.