The 2016-2017 Financial Aid Instructions: Fall – Summer 2016-2017
Applying for financial aid can sometimes be an intimidating process. We are here to help guide you through it by providing step by step instructions on how to apply. The 16-17 FAFSA is intended for students who plan to register in the 2016-2017 school year. By submitting a FAFSA, we will be able to determine what grants and student loans are available. Students wishing to be considered for only scholarships each year do not need to submit a FAFSA but should e-mail email@example.com to let us know.
Steps and Deadlines to Apply for Financial Aid – Fall 2016-Summer 2017
- Prepare to file your taxes.
- Determine if you need to file. Review some tax tips. Remember, just because a student isn’t required to complete a tax return doesn’t mean they shouldn’t. If money was withheld from their paychecks, they should file. It’s possible they’ll get back most or all of what was withheld.
- Get help filing, if you need it. There are many free tax sites for those who qualify. Find one near you.
- If you do not plan to file, skip to step 3.
- File your 2015 federal income taxes electronically (both parent(s) and student) as early as possible. After filing your taxes, allow the IRS to process your return (2-3 weeks for taxes filed electronically, 6-8 weeks for paper taxes) before filling out your FAFSA.
- Complete your 2016-2017 FAFSA online at www.FAFSA.ed.gov. Tax filers, remember to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to directly import your tax information. Make sure to submit the FAFSA by signing with your FSA ID. Augsburg’s school code is 002334. Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors before you click submit.
- If you plan to file taxes but haven’t done so by May 1st, you should still complete your FAFSA. Use estimated numbers and mark your tax filing status as ‘Will File’.
- Submit Additional Documentation as Requested. Some students will be selected for Verification. Verification is a process in which the Financial Aid office must verify certain information that the student and/or parent provided on the FAFSA. Students selected for Verification will be notified via email by Augsburg on what additional documentation is required. You can also “Track Your Financial Aid” and view the documents tab to see if additional documentation is required. Review Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details about each document.
Need Additional Help?
Watch helpful video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/FederalStudentAid
Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors.
Review 2016-17 Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details on financial aid documents.
Review 2017-18 Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details on financial aid documents.
Student Loan Options
Students may also wish to utilize student loans in order to help cover the cost of their education. Information about federal and private student loans can be found on your loans webpage.
Policies and Regulations
Please review the policies and disclosures tab to the left to make sure you understand your tuition charges and your financial aid.