The Bonner Community Leaders (BCL) program is a part of a nationally recognized network of leadership and scholarship programs through the Bonner Foundation. Augsburg BCL is an intentionally diverse cohort of 20-25 students who commit to doing civic and community-based work and contribute to building a more just world, working in and with communities surrounding Augsburg University. BCL is ideally a 4-year program (students with at least 2 years left at Augsburg are welcome to apply), where students build deep relationships with a cohort of justice-minded peers and staff who support them throughout their academic journey. BCL contributes to Augsburg’s mission to educate students to be informed citizens, thoughtful stewards, critical thinkers and responsible leaders.
*Some Bonner Leaders do further leadership development through the academic study of leadership in the Leadership Studies Minor.
Expectations of Bonner Leaders:
- We work with organizational partners on and off campus who have rich opportunities for students to grow and learn through leadership experience doing public work in community settings.
- We choose diverse organizational partners so that students are engaged around various social issues and strategies for making change, sharing those experiences with each other. In order for students to cultivate a critical lens of the public world, we encourage students to do deep reflection and analysis even around ground-level work.
- Although we value opportunities for students to work with partners doing direct-service, we prioritize opportunities for student leaders to do collaborative, co-creative work with the communities in which they participate and seek to expand such opportunities.
- As Augsburg students, Bonner Leaders are “students first”. Although this does require different flexibility than an employee who is not a full-time student, we encourage students to prioritize balance in order to cultivate capacity for effective future work.
- Bonner Leaders work up to 15 hours (max) per week in academic year-long placements, with the option for summer placement.
- Bonner Leaders are encouraged to return to the same site each year if they are a good fit for the organization and there are increasing leadership roles they can take on.
- Bonner Leaders are required to participate in approximately 4-5 hours of programming per month and they are not permitted to schedule work shifts during that time. Meetings are every-other Wednesday from 4:30pm-5:45pm. View the calendar HERE.
- Additionally, Bonner Leaders will do individual check-ins with Program Staff once per semester and complete reflections throughout the academic year.
- Students who hold Junior and Senior academic status are eligible to receive the Sabo Scholarship in the amount of $3,500/academic year.