Art & Design – Peggy Dunsworth

My teaching career began with elementary students in St. Louis, Missouri for 15 years. I jumped at the opportunity to teach high school students art, which included AP Studio Art and AP Art History for 16 years.
Sharing my passion of art and love of art history with high school students helped shape my own art. I was the Art Department Leader and Regional Leader for 7 years at Parkway West High. I have enjoyed being an AP Reader for Art and Design during the last 12 years. I had the opportunity to work as a Table Leader during the AP Art and Design Read in 2020-2023. For 2 years I taught high school students virtually, meeting 2 times a week and working towards their AP Art and Design exam. I have been a consultant for College Board during the last 5 years and still going. I guide high school art teachers through the expectations of the AP exam Art and Design exam, while sharing my experience and knowledge to help improve their AP Art students creative process and hopefully their AP scores.

I love to create art and will do so alongside of my participants. I pay attention to my journey, going on pathways through open doors, on long roads that go up and down hills and eventually find my way. I use oil paint, scrap canvas and lace to show my focus on doors, windows and pathways. I continue to think about texture and a simple color palette. I have had doors close as chapters end in my life and a window open, to give me a new focus on my journey and my paintings.

I am inspired by artists in present day and in the past. We have so much to learn from them. I have always been a sponge for knowledge of art history and it helps raise the bar for my participants and my students. Artists are deep thinkers and discover so much about their world. I enjoy presenting an artist and their works to others. We have to figure out what the artist is researching, questioning and thinking about.

Peggy Dunsworth is teaching one workshop at Augsburg this summer. See our registration site with the button below.