K-12 Reading Teacher Endorsement
The K-12 Reading Endorsement provides teachers with existing teaching licenses an opportunity to expand their knowledge and practice in the area of reading instruction and potentially provide leadership within schools and districts in reading instruction. Candidates for this license will complete five classes that have been designed to meet the requirements established for this license by the Minnesota Board of Teaching. Students may use these courses to fulfill requirements for the Master of Arts in Education degree.
The K-12 Reading Teacher Endorsement program is offered in a hybrid format which means that courses are a mix of face-to-face and online instruction. Classes are offered during summer sessions and within the weekend format during the academic year. The endorsement program is designed to be completed within 12 months in a cohort model. Field experiences at elementary, middle school and high school levels are required; student teaching is not required.
Required courses include:
- EDC 500 – Reading Leadership in the K-12 Schools
- EDC 506 – Readership, Literature, and New Literacies
- EDC 515 – Reading Leadership: Reading Theory and Research*
- EDC 535 – Reading Leadership: Assessment and Instruction with Elementary Readers*
- EDC 545 – Reading Leadership: Assessment and Instruction with Middle and High School Readers*
*Field experience required