Augsburg encourages qualified applicants from other countries to apply to our graduate programs. An F-1 student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a “full course of study” to achieve a specific educational or professional objective, at an academic institution in the United States that has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to offer courses of study to such students, and has been enrolled in SEVIS (the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).
We’re glad you’ve decided to apply to the Augsburg Master of Arts in Teaching or the Master of Arts in Education program! There is currently one application for both programs. When filling out the online application, Chrome and Firefox browsers work best. You will be able to choose the term in which you would prefer to start your studies on the application. If you get an error message when opening an application, please call 612-330-1101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
APPLY TO THE MAT/MAE PROGRAM
The online application allows you to upload your personal summary. The only other items needed are your official transcripts and a test of English fluency. If you were educated outside of the United States, please follow the instructions below regarding international transcripts.
If your bachelor’s degree was earned at an institution outside of the United States, the Master of Arts in Education program requires an official course by course U.S. degree equivalency evaluation. The evaluation report should be sent directly to graduate admissions. If you attended a university outside of the United States, but graduated with a bachelor’s degree from a United States college or university, please contact the admissions office to determine whether you will be required to submit a transcript evaluation.
International transcript evaluations should include the following:
- A course by course evaluation of credentials to determine if your degree is equivalent to an accredited U.S. bachelor’s degree.
- Calculation of grade point average to demonstrate your cumulative grade point average using the standard U.S. grading system, i.e., A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0, F=0.0.
- Translation to English (if applicable)
We recommend applicants use one of the following services:
- World Education Services, Inc. – website: www.wes.org
- Educational Credential Evaluators – website: www.ece.org
Please ask wes.org or ece.org to send your transcripts to Augsburg by electronic transfer or by mail.
By electronic transfer: email@example.com
Graduate Admissions Office, CB 65
2211 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454
After you request an electronic transcript, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that a transcript has been ordered. Include your name, desired degree program, electronic transfer service used and the name of the sending institution.
ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE APPLICANTS
To meet Augsburg admission requirements, you must provide evidence of a sufficient command of both written and spoken English to study college courses conducted entirely in English. Below is a list of the tests and programs Augsburg accepts as evidence for English proficiency.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) www.toefl.org/
- Score report of 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with a subscore of 20 on the written and 20 on the speaking sections. (The Augsburg University TOEFL code is 6014.)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) www.ielts.org/
- Score report of 6.5.
- Successful completion of a previous undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited college or university in the US, the United Kingdom, Ireland, English-speaking Canada, New Zealand, or Australia.
Score reports must be sent to Augsburg directly from the testing center. Score reports must not be more than two years old.
CERTIFICATION OF FINANCES
In order to review your application for admission and process your Form I-20, the following documents must be received:
- Completed Augsburg Certification of Finances form
- Proof of funding as demonstrated by supporting financial documents (such as bank statements – current within three months; Government Support Letter, etc…)
- Copy of the first page your passport
- Students with current F-1 status through another university in the United States: You will need to have your SEVIS record transferred from your current institution to Augsburg. The SEVIS Transfer form must be completed by you and your Designated School Official. You will need to present your Augsburg letter of admissions to the DSO when submitting your transfer request. This form may be returned to Augsburg by e-mail.