Secondary Education License

K-12 and 5-12 Secondary Education

K-12 and 5-12 licenses in several content areas are offered through a combination of graduate and undergraduate coursework. K-12 licenses prepare teachers to teach a content area across elementary, middle school, and high school. Licenses for grades 5- 12 prepare teachers to teach at the middle and high school levels. Graduate-level licensure coursework (500 and above) is available to students who already hold a bachelor’s degree and meet MAE admissions criteria.

Subject matter courses in the following majors are offered on weekday evenings and summer: English, communications (for communication arts), history or economics or psychology (for social studies), art. Students seeking 5–12 licensure in social studies must complete a broad-based core of courses in the social studies in addition to a social science major. Education courses for these licenses are also taken during weekday evenings and summer.

The following content area majors are offered primarily or entirely through the weekday program: biology, chemistry, physics, health, physical education, music, and mathematics. Students seeking licensure in any of these areas typically will need to take additional content courses in the weekday schedule and off-campus. Students can obtain a 9-12 license in physics, chemistry, or biology and have the option of adding the 5–8 general science to the 9-12 license. Students also can obtain the 5–8 general science license without the 9–12 license. Education courses for these licenses are taken during weekday evenings.

Licensure Requirements

The following requirements are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level. All courses must be taken for licensure; four to seven of them also may be taken at the graduate level and applied toward the master’s degree in education.

  • EDC 200/522 – Orientation to Education in an Urban Setting*
  • EDC 206/566 – Diversity/Minnesota American Indians
  • EDC 310/533 – Learning and Development in an Educational Setting*
  • EDC 410/544 – Learners with Special Needs*
  • EDC 490/580 – School and Society
  • ESE 325/525 – Creating Learning Environments
  • ESE 300/500 – Reading and Writing in Content Area*
  • EDC 591 – Topics

To complete the license, students also will need to complete the following requirements at the undergraduate level:

  • HPE 115 – Chemical Dependency Education
  • EDC 220 – Educational Technology
  • ESE 3XX – K-12 or 5-12 Methods (in the content area)*
  • ESE 481, 483, 485 – Student Teaching: Secondary
  • ESE 488 – TPA and Student Teaching Seminar

*Field experience hours are required in these courses. A minimum of 100 hours in classrooms and education-related settings is required prior to student teaching. Students spend approximately 20 hours per term in field experiences.

Undergraduate Content Area Requirements

The equivalent of a major in the licensure content area is required for K-12 and 5-12 licenses. Students who have majored in a field in which we offer licensure must have their previous coursework evaluated by the major department at Augsburg. Two or more content area courses tied to Minnesota licensure standards are generally required, even with a completed academic major.

Previous coursework is evaluated by the content area department and accepted if it meets Minnesota licensure standards and if a grade of C or better was achieved. Coursework older than five years is judged on a case-by-case basis. Specific course requirements for each content area are on file in the Education Department.

Graduate coursework accepted into the licensure program is not automatically accepted into the MAE degree program. See the MAE program director for approval to use graduate level transfer courses in the degree program.