Benefits to being an Alumni volunteer
The scholars aren’t the only ones benefiting from the networking relationships. Alumni benefit as well. Here some of the benefits:
- Share their expertise
- Reminders of where they come from
- Opportunities to influence and/or make a difference in a young person’s life
- Personal growth and development
- Opportunities to reflect on what it means to be successful
- A captive, attentive audience
Alumni Commitment to SC
To create a growing networking community for the Scholars of Scholastic Connections there are minimally two ways we do this:
- Alumni network – scholars working with alumni to gain support and guidance
- Large group work – we come together as a whole a number of times throughout the academic year to work and learn about each other. We also partake in cultural activities. Because the program is about success it is necessary to celebrate success. By that, we have various programs including
- Multicultural Student Services (MSS) Scholarship Recognition Dinner
- President’s House gathering – where graduating seniors are honored
Estimated time commitment for the academic year = 15-20 hours and includes:
Large group gatherings – 1-2 per semester. These can be interchangeable with the events that we expect SC scholars to attend (Powwow, MLK Convocation, etc.)
Celebratory events – These include the MSS Scholarship Recognition, where all MSS scholars and SC scholars are celebrated, and the President’s House, where scholars have the opportunity to have dinner at the Augsburg President’s house and graduating seniors are honored.
One-on-Ones with the Scholar – while there is no formal “pairing” or alumni and scholars for mentoring, we encourage and promote individuals to meet 1:1. We hope that students and alumni can network together as a large group, but also at an individual level to gain more personal connections.
Interested in being an alumni mentor?
Individuals wishing to be an alumni mentor for Scholastic Connections must be/have:
- Alumni of color or ally
- Interest in working with college students
- Able to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per year
- A preponderance of the following skills:
- Building and maintaining relationships
- Goal Setting
- Managing conflict
- Problem solving
- Providing/receiving feedback
Contact Kia Burton at email@example.com or 612-330-1329 for more information on how to join the alumni network for Scholastic Connections.