We’re glad you’ve decided to apply to the Augsburg Master of Music Therapy program!Start Your Application
Master of Music Therapy
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until July 15th.
Coursework for the Master of Music Therapy (MMT) begins in September. The MMT is the master’s only track for applicants who are already board certified music therapists.
Equivalency Plus MMT
The application window for the 2019 intake has closed. The 2020 application window will open in late-September 2019.
Coursework for the Equivalency Plus MMT track begins in May. The Equivalency Plus track is for applicants who are not board certified music therapists.
*Equivalency Plus Master in Music Therapy students begin in May. Board certified music therapists enter directly into the MMT and begin in the Fall term.
- Official transcripts from bachelor degree granting institution as well as any institutions where prerequisite or equivalency courses have been taken. Transcripts must also be submitted for any credits earned after earning your bachelor’s degree. Military veterans must submit official transcripts from each school previously attended in order to utilize military benefits.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Proof of Board Certification (if applicable)
- Resume – Submit a resume that outlines your experience as a music therapist (if applicable), and/or your other professional, volunteer, and musical (ensembles, solos, lessons, etc.) experience. Please be sure to list achievements, workshops attended, and honors received.
- Personal Statement – Respond to each of the following prompts. Your response to each prompt should be 1 page or less, for a total of 2-4 pages.
- Describe your goals as a board certified music therapist and how you feel a master’s degree in music therapy will help you to achieve these goals?
- Describe a moment or experience you had that fostered your interest and encouraged you to focus your career in music therapy.
- Music therapy is a profession that focuses on helping people from diverse cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds, what qualities and qualifications do you possess that will allow you to be an asset to others.
- What skills or areas of need do you feel require further development for you to be successful as a board certified music therapist?
- Audition – 20 minutes of recorded performance (video preferred), consisting of the following:
- 10 minutes displaying your level of ability on your primary instrument(s)
- 5 minutes displaying your level of ability on guitar
- 5 minutes displaying your level of ability on piano
Note: If you do not play guitar or piano, please replace those segments of your audition with more performance on your primary instrument or another instrument.
Submitting your official transcripts
Official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions for undergraduate and graduate level coursework must be submitted directly to the Graduate Admissions Office by electronic transfer or by mail.
By electronic transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org (if prompted by your institution for an email address)
Graduate Admissions Office, CB 65
2211 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454
The MMT program is both AMTA and NASM approved as of February 2014.
Call 612-330-1101 for more information.