“Travelers EDGE is more than just a scholarship program. Through Travelers EDGE, I expanded my network, made a connection with a mentor, attended workshops to help prepare myself for life after college and obtained an internship. Being busy during college is inevitable, but Travelers EDGE provides the perfect balance to succeed.”
Vivieng Xiong ’14, Account Manager, Cox Insurance Associates
While other programs gave me the tools to graduate and the knowledge to find a career after college, Travelers EDGE brought it further by showing me how to apply what I had learned. Travelers EDGE also offered me the opportunity to apply for competitive internships only Scholars had access to. It was through those internships that I discovered what career paths I enjoyed and didn’t enjoy as much. These experiences led me to my current position at Travelers.
Dustina Granlund ’14, Project Administrator, Travelers
“One of the biggest challenges that I faced as a first-generation college student was not knowing what to expect after college. Travelers EDGE provided me with mentoring, networking, and development opportunities to prepare me for a career within the financial services industry. I had many supporters in the program who wanted me to succeed and who provided me with the right tools to get me to where I wanted to be.”
Maya Vue ’13, IT Agile Scrum Master, UnitedHealth Group
Augsburg University is a Travelers Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment (EDGE) partner institution and has been awarded a substantial grant to support the following goals:
- Increase the pipeline of underrepresented students to the University
- Help students from underrepresented communities complete a bachelor’s degree
- Build awareness of careers in the insurance and financial services industry
Travelers EDGE® supports a cohort of students at Augsburg each year with professional development opportunities and scholarships of up to $12,500.
We are not currently accepting applications for Travelers EDGE, please check back in March 2019.
ABOUT TRAVELERS EDGE
As the company’s signature education program, Travelers EDGE provides a holistic approach to education through partnerships with colleges and universities, as well as community-based programs, to increase the pipeline of underrepresented students who complete bachelor’s degrees and prepare them for a career at Travelers or in the insurance and financial services industry.
Travelers EDGE Scholars benefit from a broad range of support services including financial support, career and business advice from Travelers employees, internships and job shadowing, and professional development workshops.
Programming for the scholars has included:
- A mentorship with a Travelers employee
- Events at Travelers (job shadowing, Professional Development Institute)
- Financial literacy programming
- Career exploration focused on the insurance and financial services industry, in which scholars work on resume development, skills assessments, informational interviews, networking, etc.
- One-on-one meetings with career coaches in the Strommen Career and Internship Services office
- Opportunities to give back to the community and share personal stories with St. Paul youth