Work on the north wing of the Hagfors Center continues upward this week — with crews putting concrete formwork in place for the third floor. (See the photo from Friday, August 12, showing the construction crew completing the concrete pour for the second-story slab on the north wing of the Hagfors Center.) The plan is to complete the concrete pours for the four floors of the north wing before beginning work on the three stories of the building’s west wing.
CONSTRUCTION SITE WORK
- Concrete formwork for the third floor. The concrete pours for the north wing of the second floor slab are complete, and crews are moving the concrete formwork from the second floor up to the third floor this week. This work involves using the tower crane to lift large sections of the formwork from the second level up to the third level. To ensure safety, construction crews station a flag person on the street to direct traffic whenever a load needs to swing over an adjacent street, and they never swing a load over the community garden if there are people working in the area.
- Closures of South 6th Street and 21st Avenue South. In order to minimize traffic disruption, the plans for street closures north and east of the construction site have been changed from what was previously communicated. South 6th Street will be closed between 20th and 21st avenues August 15-19. Following the reopening of South 6th Street, the southbound lane of 21st Avenue South between South 6th and 7th streets will be closed August 22-25. These closures are required for water and sanitary utility work. The goal is to have this work done before first-year student move-in day, Friday, August 26.
- Continued column construction. Crews will continue construction of first-floor columns on the west wing of the building and second-floor columns on the north wing this week.
- Completion of the ground-level slab. The concrete pour for the remainder of the ground-level slab will be scheduled within the next few weeks. Completion of the ground-level slab is not required for other construction work to proceed, so its schedule is coordinated around higher-priority, critical-path activities.
- Utility pole removal. Recent heavy storms and power outages have impacted Xcel’s schedule, so construction crews are continuing to coordinate with Xcel to schedule removal of the utility poles along 21st Avenue South. After the utility work is complete, crews will proceed with the City of Minneapolis-approved tree removal on the construction site along the east side of South 6th Street and on 21st Avenue South. These trees will be replaced during the summer of 2017, in accordance with the City-approved plans.
UTILITY WORK WEST OF OREN GATEWAY CENTER
The electrical utility work on the west side of Oren Gateway Center is expected to be scheduled in conjunction with the power and utility pole removal along 21st Avenue South. Sidewalk closures and parking restrictions may continue on 21st Avenue South until that work is complete.