2017-18 Interfaith Scholars

CHUNG EANG LIP (CHUILL) ’18
Chung Lip

Hometown: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology

This community is special for everyone. It is not just a place to come and get a degree, but a place that I have learned to care, to love and after all, to explore my life-long core commitment. With the resources given by this community, I have exposed to many experiences, just to list a few, being a Certified Nursing Assistant at St. Lucas Health Care Center, Faribault, MN, Genetic research intern with Dr. Matthew Beckman through URGO, and Mayo Innovation Scholar and many more opportunities that I would never have dreamt of. My proudest academic achievement was the 2016-2017 Linda Schrempp Alberg Endowed Leadership Award. After graduation, I plan to attend a graduate program in Public Health.

HA DONG (CASSIE) ‘18Ha Dong Cassie

Hometown: Hanoi, Vietnam
Major: Marketing and International Business
Minor: Graphic Design

I enjoyed working for non-profit organization where I know that I can use my passion and talents to benefit people in need. Last year, I was a Digital and Graphic Design Intern for The Arc Greater Twin Cities, a non-profit organization that supports and promotes the rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. I am currently a Graphic Design Intern for Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota, helping them to design and create promotional materials to support various social services. I love how Augsburg University is inclusive, welcoming, and open-mined. I feel inspired seeing so many students, professors, faculties, and staffs who are extremely involved in community engagement, building a supportive, diverse community at Augsburg and the wider Twin Cities.

BLAIR STEWIG ‘18Blair Stewig

Hometown: Buffalo, MN
Major: Biology
Minors: Chemistry, Religion, Environmental Studies

My favorite thing about Augsburg is the welcoming community and all of the wonderful experiences I have had here, including studying abroad with the Augsburg River semester and a Trip to Peru with the Augsburg cross country team and doing research in the Augsburg Biophysics lab. Outside of Augsburg, I was a summer research fellow for the Lupus Foundation of Minnesota at the Mayo Clinic and a summer research fellow at Baylor College of Medicine. After graduation, I plan to conduct research through a Post-bac program and then enroll in an MD/PhD program.

FRANCESCA CHIARI ‘19Francesca Chiari

Hometown: Reggio Emilia, Italy
Majors: Communication, New Media Science
Minors: Psychology, Film

Augsburg has helped me by pushing me to challenge myself to a point I did not know I could. I became more educated on the social aspect- related to current issues, and more open minded, as well as more willing to make a change. This year, I am collaborating with faculty to improve services offered on campus as well to have more efficient Diversity, Inclusion and Equality education for students. My proudest academic achievement was winning Junior of the Year last spring and making it into the Dean’s List every semester since I arrived to Augsburg. After graduation, I plan to travel as much as I can before stabilizing in one place.

KITANA HOLLAND ‘19Kitana Holland

Hometown: Brooklyn Park/Coon Rapids
Major: Sociology
Minor: Religion

My first time out of the country was participating in the Central America: Faith, Vocation, and Social Change in Nicaragua during spring break of 2017. Following that, I studied abroad in Oslo, Norway as a Peace Scholar studying welfare state and Peace studies regarding immigration policies, a research project, and brainstorming ways to build a divided world at International Summer School. I have also had the chance to travel to Berlin, Germany to visit a concentration camp, the Holocaust Museum, East Side Art Gallery, Berlin Wall Memorial, and met a Holocaust survivor.

CHAD BERRYMAN ‘19Chad Berryman

Hometown: Midland, Michigan
Majors: Philosophy, Spanish, and Religion

Augsburg provides myriad opportunities for its students to explore how education fits into the bigger picture of one’s life. I spent last summer studying in Cuernavaca, Mexico, and that experience has helped me identify and question assumptions which would not have been brought into focus had I stayed in the comfort of Minneapolis.  Also, small class sizes have allowed me to truly get to know my professors, and those relationships have deepened my passion for learning.  After graduation, I plan to pursue a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature.

LEX DORFMAN ‘19Lex Dorfman

Hometown: Hopkins
Major: Religion
Minors: Spanish and Leadership

I enjoy dancing, camping, cooking, and hanging out with friends. I love building communities as well. My favorite thing about Augsburg is how supportive the faculty and staff members are.

LUCY SUKAR ‘18
Lucy Sukar

Hometown: Prior Lake, MN
Major: Computer Science

My favorite thing about Augsburg is the community it creates. There is so much support not only from the students, but also from the faculty to succeed and support each other in personal and professional development. The summer of my first year, I interned with The Washington Center internship program, in which I studied in Washington, D.C for the summer, attended networking and career exploratory events, and spent 40 hours a week at an internship site of my choice. After graduation, I plan to work for a nonprofit or government position so that I may help further cultivate the future of our country.

SARAH ANN ELIZABETH ESTEY ‘18
Sarah Estey

Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
Major: Art History
Minor: Psychology

My favorite thing about Augsburg is the school’s commitment to integrity and accountability to the tenets of faith. Outside of class, I raise my two children Shea Apollo and Sidra Alia with the aid of my mothers, spiritual mentors, their Early Childcare center, and the Minneapolis Public schools early intervention program. I am an Intern for the Saint Hildegard Von Bingen Archives at The Archdiocese and Chancery of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. I had a study abroad experience in Assisi Italy, summer of 2009, Assisi Performing Arts Festival chorale student. After graduation, I plan to achieve my Master’s in Art History with a focus on Arts of Faith and Sacred Spaces.

DAVID WICK ‘19

Hometown: Denver, Colorado
Major: Exercise Science

For the past three years I have worked as a Personal Care Attendant for seniors living with Alzheimer’s and dementia. My experiences in this field have taught me how to exercise empathy and compassion, which are two qualities that Augsburg has further invoked and nurtured in me. I am incredibly proud to be an Auggie, Interfaith Scholar, and a part of this vibrant community in which I can work, learn, and grow alongside others.