F-1 students are generally permitted to work in any on-campus position while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. On-campus employment does not require the authorization or updates to the SEVIS record.
- Duration: throughout period student is pursuing a full course of study; Cannot be used after a student completes the course of study.
- Hours Per Week: limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks (ie. summer/winter/spring breaks).
To look for current on-campus job opportunities, you should sign in your Augnet account and visit On-campus Student Jobs.
F-1 students may be authorized and documented in SEVIS to work off campus related to their major field of study once they have been in F-1 Status for one year and studied full time. Before you participate in any kind of off-campus employment, please consult an international student adviser and follow these steps outlined on the Strommen Center’s internship registration page for international students. Your first step is to meet with your ISSS advisor.
The most often authorized off-campus employment while you are enrolled to most F-1 students studying at the college and university level is curricular practical training (CPT). The practice training allows F-1 students to engage in temporary employment to gain practical experience directly related to their field of study. You must maintain your authorization before you begin. Please be aware: In order to receive CPT approval, Augsburg F-1 students will have to register for an off-campus internship.
Post graduation, your opportunity for work is Optional Practical Training (OPT). Please refer to our Graduation & Beyond section for more information.
If this is your first-time to get a job in the United States, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number. As an F-1 student, you will need the following documents to apply for a Social Security Number:
- I-94 card (visit www.cbp.gov/I94 for a copy of your electronic I-94 record)
- An Augsburg On-campus Employment Verification Letter signed and dated by your employer and an ISSS adviser at Augsburg University.
- A completed Social Security Application (SS-5 Form).
****Note: (1) There is no fee to apply. (2) Twin City residence must use the Social Security Card Center to apply. The Center is located at 1811 Chicago Avenue, Suite 2, Minneapolis, MN. It’s open between 9am and 3:30pm from Monday to Friday.