J-1 students are required to maintain the following minimum level of health insurance for their entire stay in the United States:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Many exchange students receive health insurance through their home country. Any exchange student who is not covered by a qualified plan from one’s own country will need to enroll in Augsburg’s international student health insurance plan through GeoBlue. If you do not want to be on Augsburg’s GeoBlue plan, You will be required to provide written proof of insurance coverage to ISSS. The information should be in English. Your J-1 program may be cancelled if you fail to meet this requirement.
GeoBlue Health Insurance
Augsburg provides health insurance for J-1 international students through GeoBlue – this is a Blue Cross Blue Shield Network for those who do not have insurance in their home countries. Find out specific information about the plan on their online portal. Review this presentation for more information about accessing health insurance in the United States. If you are a GeoBlue member, you can download the app or request a card in the following ways:
1. Download the “GeoBlue” App and have constant access to your card on your phone, in addition to many other member services.
2. Register or Log In as a member at www.geobluestudents.com, where you can request a card (laminated copy) that can be sent to your Augsburg mail box, or ours (CB #68), or you can print a card. You will need a certificate number – we can provide that information for you.
3. You can call GeoBlue member services and request that they send you a card.
Review the GeoBlue Student Member Guide for 2017-2018 for more information.