The 2017-2018 Financial Aid Instructions: Summer 2017 – Spring 2018
Applying for financial aid can sometimes be an intimidating process. We are here to help guide you through it by providing step by step instructions on how to apply. The 17-18 FAFSA is intended for students who plan to register in the 2017-2018 school year. By submitting a FAFSA, we will be able to determine what grants and student loans are available. Students wishing to be considered for only scholarships each year do not need to submit a FAFSA but should e-mail email@example.com to let us know.
- Get a copy of your tax return.
- For the 2017-18 FAFSA, you will need your 2015 tax return.
- Determine if you need to file. Review some tax tips. Remember, just because a student isn’t required to complete a tax return doesn’t mean they shouldn’t. If money was withheld from their paychecks, they should file. It’s possible they’ll get back most or all of what was withheld.
- Get help filing, if you need it. There are many free tax sites for those who qualify. Find one near you.
- If you do not plan to file, skip to step 5.
- File your 2015 federal income taxes electronically (both parent(s) and student) as early as possible (if you haven’t already). After filing your taxes, allow the IRS to process your return (2-3 weeks for taxes filed electronically, 6-8 weeks for paper taxes) before filling out your FAFSA.
- Complete your 2017-2018 FAFSA online at www.FAFSA.ed.gov. Make sure to submit the FAFSA by signing with your FSA ID. Augsburg’s school code is 002334. Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors before you click submit.
- *Notice: The IRS DRT (Data Retrieval Tool) is currently unavailable. The DRT was used to transfer all relevant tax data straight from the IRS to your FAFSA. However, the DRT is currently unavailable and will likely remain down until the start of the next FAFSA season (October 2017). You can still complete your FAFSA but you will need to enter your 2015 tax information manually from your tax transcripts (available here) or your tax return.
- Submit Additional Documentation as Requested. You will be notified via email by Augsburg on what additional documentation is required. You can also “Track Your Financial Aid” and view the documents tab to see if additional documentation is required.
Need Additional Help?
Review the Common FAFSA Filing Errors.
Review Augsburg’s Document Descriptions for details on financial aid documents.
Student Loan Options
Students may also wish to utilize student loans in order to help cover the cost of their education. Information about federal and private student loans can be found on your loans webpage.
Special Circumstance Information
Learn more about Augsburg’s policy regarding Special Circumstances
Policies and Regulations
Please review the policies and disclosures tab to the left to make sure you understand your tuition charges and your financial aid.