On February 25, former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and retired astronaut Captain Mark Kelly, co-founders of Americans for Responsible Solutions, joined Minnesota leaders at Augsburg College to announce a new bipartisan organization, the “Minnesota Coalition for Common Sense.” The coalition’s members – which include leaders from across sectors and parties – will urge their elected officials to advance policies that help keep guns out of the wrong hands.
Giffords was wounded severely during a 2011 shooting that resulted in six deaths. She and husband, Kelly, have announced similar coalitions in New Hampshire and Oregon during the past several months.
Augsburg College President Paul Pribbenow welcomed the event’s guests to campus and offered opening remarks at the press conference.
Media coverage of the event includes:
- Star Tribune – Former Arizona Congresswoman Giffords brings gun control initiative to Minnesota
- WCCO television – ‘Never Stop Fighting’: Gabby Giffords Visits MN With Gun Control Message
- Minnesota Public Radio – Gabrielle Giffords in Minnesota, calls for gun control
- Bring Me The News – Giffords visits Minnesota to launch coalition to help prevent gun violence
- KARE 11 television – Gabby Giffords leads new Minn. coalition to reduce gun violence
- KSTP television – Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Twin Cities Discussing Gun Control
- Christian Science Monitor – Gabby Giffords brings gun control fight to Minnesota (+video)