Pre-Health Advising Updates
Scholarship for Kaplan Course
I am often asked about test prep resources, so I was surprised (and disappointed) that no one applied to receive my scholarship for a Kaplan MCAT, DAT, OAT, or PCAT course, valued at up to $2,499. The deadline to apply has been extended to August 14, 2020. To be eligible for consideration, you must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher, and plan to take the MCAT, DAT, OAT, or PCAT before June 30, 2021. To apply, click on the button below.
Opportunity to gain Clinical Experience
I have received numerous inquiries about how to gain clinical experiences in light of COVID-19. There is an opportunity for pre-health students to gain experience as a COVID-19 tracer. See the entry below for more detailed information.
Issues with AAMC, MCAT, and Med School Applications
I have heard from advisors across the country that many of their students have been experiencing issues with AAMC on the MCAT and AMCAS. Make sure that you follow up and check on your application status. This MedPage article highlights some of the MCAT and AMCAS policy issues and includes a link to this 27-page document created by students outlining a number of problems in the wake of COVID-19.
Shadow a DO
Although COVID has changed the landscape of internship and shadowing for pre-health students, opportunities are available to shadow DO’s. Learn more about osteopathic medicine, as well as how and where to find these shadowing experiences.
Out of the office July 20-August 14
Please remember that I am on an 11-month contract and will be unavailable from July 20-August 14. If you need assistance, you can contact me by email on Monday, August 17.
COVID-19 Tracer Opportunity for Pre-Health Students
The National Alliance of Research Associates Programs (NARAP) has brought thousands of pre-health professions students from colleges and universities around the country into
emergency departments (EDs) as Research Associates (RAs), data collectors for clinical research. With the pandemic,
RAs cannot be in the EDs, but NARAP has adapted its recruiting to help students join the critical work of tracing through the
COVID 19 Potential Contact Tracer Registry.
Tracing is great for pre-health professions students eager for clinical experience in this time of social distancing.
Learn more and apply here!
Free MCAT Resources
Altius offers the following free resources:
- A FREE full-length COVID-19 MCAT practice exam. Click here to sign up for yours.
- Altius will offer FREE online MCAT Tutoring to all U.S. pre-meds. All sessions will be hosted by elite 95-100th percentile MCAT Mentors. Interested students can join these live sessions 7 days a week between 8:00 AM and 8:30 PM (PDST) from anywhere with an internet connection. Register for free tutoring.
- Altius is also offering a FREE MCAT trial through September 30th. Enroll in any of their 1-1 Mentoring programs and use their services for 60-90 days with the guarantee of a refund if you are unsatisfied with their services.
- Tutoring for any Medical School Pre-requisite Course: Chemistry, O-Chem, Biology, Biochem, Physics. Click here to learn more.
- Transition Counseling: If you have any questions or concerns, if you’re struggling to stay focused or motivated, or are facing any other challenges with your new distance learning environment, call (435) 671-5783 to speak with experienced online education experts.
Exam Krackers also offers a free MCAT coaching session as well as online classes.
AAMC Addresses COVID Concerns
The AAMC has developed an overview of the issues raised and how they are addressing concerns. This overview is intended to help premeds, including MCAT examinees and AMCAS applicants, the advisor community, and the admissions community navigate the many changes and challenges that are part of this very unique application cycle.
Northwestern Health Sciences University Healthcare Careers
Curious about their healthcare offerings? NWHSU is hosting a variety of virtual webinars on a variety of careers including chiropractic, medical assisting, massage therapy, radiologic technology, Chinese medicine, and more.
Meet faculty, students, and admissions staff during these 60 to 90 minute live webinars.
GRE Prep Night from Rocky Mountain University
When: Thursday, August 6th, 2020 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm MST
Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions in Provo, Utah is excited to present this opportunity to students who are preparing to take or retake the GRE. This event is optional for those who want to attend in person as well as online! Students will get answers to frequently asked questions about the GRE, learn tips and tricks to being successful on the test, as well as having questions answered live, and learn test strategies. Students will also have the opportunity to have free practice tests!
For any questions please reach out to email@example.com!
UMN Medical School Virtual Information Sessions
The University of Minnesota Medical School Offices of Admissions on the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses are once again hosting joint virtual information sessions this summer.
Join a webinar and Q&A session for info on the application, evaluation, and interview process for the Twin Cities and Duluth MD programs.
- August 13th 12-1PM
- Password: 7TpG8?
New Central Coast Physician Assistant program from A.T. Still University
CCPA is a developing program and proposed to start in October 2021. The program will be provisionally accredited during the summer of 2021.
The CCPA program will focus on educating PAs to serve in areas of need across the country. ATSU utilizes unique partnerships with Community Health Centers (CHC) and is the only school in the country where students are taught within these centers.
Further information about ATSU’s CCPA Program!
AACP Virtual Pharmacy School Fair
AACP is excited to announce a series of monthly Virtual Pharmacy School Fairs! Join us for one or more events between May and September to learn more about Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree programs and master’s & Ph.D. programs in the pharmacy sciences. The virtual fairs are free and offer attendees a unique opportunity to chat online with pharmacy schools across the country. Student attendees will also have a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card! Winners will be randomly selected.
Virtual Pharmacy School Fairs: Click the links below to register for free!
- how pharmacy schools are adapting their admission policies in response to COVID-19,
- about the different programs and pathways offered by colleges and schools of pharmacy,
- how students can improve their chances for admission to a pharmacy degree program,
- about the essential and extraordinary roles of pharmacists and pharmacy researchers,
- about the exciting career opportunities available in pharmacy
Health Professions Week
What is Health Professions Week (HPW2020)? HPW2020 is a series of events woven together to give you meaningful insight into a path in a healthcare profession. There are many events during HPW – so you can choose what content matters to you. HPW is on-demand, so come back later when you have new questions.
When: November 14-19, 2020
Americorps VISTA Opportunity
Impact health inequities in the Twin Cities! Build structures, programming and connect resources to increase collaboration between U of M students, healthcare centers, and underserved populations.
The Center for Health Interprofessional Programs (CHIP) and the Community University Healthcare Center (CUHCC) are currently seeking applicants for a 1-year, full-time Americorps VISTA. Learn more and apply here.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Changes to Fall 2021 Minnesota PharmD Application Requirements
Due to the uncertainty surrounding PCAT testing availability and safety, PCAT scores will be optional for most* Fall 2021 applications to the University of Minnesota PharmD program. Here are more details for specific situations:
- If you haven’t yet taken the PCAT, you may choose to take the PCAT, but it is not required for applications for Fall 2021 admission.
- Consider submitting a PCAT score (if you can safely do so) if:
- Overall GPA is below 3.0
- Grades in science prerequisites are a C or below
- Science prerequisites were taken 5+ years ago
- Grades have trended down over time
- Not sure what to do? #1 advice: Email us or set up an individual appointment to receive personalized guidance!
- Consider submitting a PCAT score (if you can safely do so) if:
- *If you take or have already taken the PCAT, your official score is required as part of your application, and should be reported directly to PharmCAS at code 104.
Furthermore, the Admissions Committee has announced it will accept S/N (pass/fail) grades for Spring semester 2020 courses.
For more information on Fall 2021 admission, visit their website.
Virtual Learning Opportunities
Here are some ongoing learning opportunities related to the health professions.
Podcasts: Osterholm and Public Health
Osterholm Update is a new podcast featuring U of M professor and infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm. The first two episodes cover how we got here, what to expect in the weeks to come, the global response and more. The newest Heath in All Matters podcast from the School of Public Health examines Settling in for the Long Haul.
Arizona State University offers the Pandemic Dialogues to provide perspective on the current civic crisis through conversations. The Dialogues are offered in two modes: a series of live webinars, each discussing a great work of philosophy or literature on pandemics and civic crisis; and, a podcast series, discussing Camus’s novel The Plague.
Johns Hopkins University dashboard of COVID-19 infections
This is the definitive source for following global cases of COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) and monitoring trends.