On Campus

Low cost / sliding fee counseling services

Unless otherwise noted, most of the listed agencies provide services on a “sliding fee scale” which slides according to income, in some cases down to $0.  Many of the agencies do take insurance, and if you are income-eligible, will work with you to apply for government health care programs that will cover the costs of counseling (such as MA and Minnesota Care).  Some programs are able to provide services based on the county that you live in.

The Crisis Connection    free 24/7 phone counseling      612-379-6363

Walk-In Counseling Center -  free counseling services by volunteer mental health professionals on a short-term basis   612-870-0565

Community-University Health Care Center – Mental Health   Sliding fee scale, free to Hennepin County residents if below poverty level. Individual and family counseling, cultural transition counseling, family violence counseling (specialize in working with Hmong), medication monitoring, mental health day treatment, sexual assault counseling (specalize in working with Somali women). African-American, American Indian, Spanish-speaking, and Asian and African bicultural staff available. 612-638-0700 Option 8 Behavioral Health

Neighborhood Involvement Program – The Counseling Center   Sliding fee scale (slides down to $0, depending on income). Short and long-term counseling available. Counseling provided by supervised counseling interns and professional psychologists and social workers. Call for 15 minute phone intake. Located on Hennepin Avenue in south Minneapolis, easy bus service from Augsburg. Specialized services available for survivors of sexual assault and abuse through NIP’s Rape & Sexual Abuse Center. 612-374-3125

Hamm Memorial Psychiatric Clinic   Provides quality and culturally competent mental health care to adults and families, particularly those who cannot afford the full cost of care. Services include individual, group, couples, family psychotherapy, and medication management. Length of therapy varies depending on need. Staffed by licensed psychologists, licensed social workers, and psychiatrists. 651-224-0614

Indian Health Board   612-721-9807   Trauma-informed approaches for healing.  Serving the American Indian and non-native community.  Minneapolis (rides may be provided to clients)

Native American Community Clinic   Group and individual therapy, appointments and walk-ins.  612-870-8086 press 2.  Sliding fee scale if you do not have insurance.

Communidades Latinas Unidas en Servicio    Minneapolis office 612-746-3500

African-American Family Services (also known as African American Wellness Institute)  612-813-5034

People’s Center — Behavioral Health Services   612-332-4973

Family & Children’s Service (Minneapolis) – Confidential, professional counseling to individuals and families regardless of ability to pay. Individual, couples, group, and family therapy, and medication management. Specialized counseling services: community counseling, credit counseling, family violence prevention and intervention, GLBT counseling. Locations downtown Minneapolis, Lake Street, Northwest Hennepin, and South Hennepin. 612-339-9101

Hennepin County Mental Health – Information and Referral Nurse - Adult Outpatient Program provides a full range of outpatient mental health services to adult residents of Hennepin County, including individual, couple, family and group therapy, and medication management. Also has an Aftercare and Community Treatment Program which provides long-term, supportive psychotherapy and medication maintenance for persons who experience serious and persistent mental illness. 612-347-5770

Jewish Family Service (St. Paul) – Individual/couple/family counseling, group counseling and support groups. Provides services to all community members and ethnic groups. Priority given to residents of Ramsey County. 651-698-0767

Lutheran Social Service Counseling and Family Resources  Minneapolis — 612-879-5320

Insurance based or sliding fee scale (does not slide to low fee).  Individual, family, and group therapy and medication management, 24 hour emergency service. Staffed by licensed psychologists, licensed social workers, licensed marriage and family therapists, chemical dependency professionals, and psychiatrists. Specialized counseling to help people with disabilities.

Ramsey County Mental HealthAdult outpatient program for Ramsey County residents providing a full range of outpatient mental health services including urgent care mental health resources. 651-266-7890

Wilder Foundation Southeast Asian Services     Culturally appropriate counseling services for the Southeast Asian community.   651-280-2310

University of St. Thomas Interprofessional Center for Counseling & Legal Services


Counseling Clinics (requires health insurance)

Fairview Counseling Center – Minneapolis     2450 Riverside Avenue   (612-672-6999)

Smiley’s Clinic   (note that the Augsburg contract with Smiley’s does NOT cover sessions with their counselors)

Minnesota Center for Psychology

Kenwood Therapy Center  (narrative therapy, individual and family therapy)

Kente Circle     Professional therapy services for individuals, couples, and families; embraces community and diversity.


Online Counseling Referrals

Find a Therapist — Psychology Today

Licensed Psychologists/Licensed Independent Clinical Social Workers/Licensed Professional Counselors/Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist

See your insurance plan for a referral to a psychologist or social worker covered by your insurance. Many psychologists in private practice will also provide services on a “sliding fee scale” basis that adjusts according to your income (on a very limited basis).  Psychologists licensed by the Minnesota Board of Psychology have either master’s or doctoral degrees in psychology or related fields, and have met minimum standards for education and training. They are obligated to subscribe to ethical standards as set forth by the Board of Psychology, including confidentiality standards. Licensed Independent Clinical Social Workers typically have a master’s degree in clinical social work and are licensed by the Minnesota Board of Social Work.  Licensed Professional Counselors have a minimum of a master’s degree and are licensed by the MN Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy.  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists have a minimum of a master’s degree and are licensed by the MN Board of Marriage and Family Therapy.

CCHP will provide referrals to private practice therapists in the community (you are encouraged to schedule a meeting with a counselor to discuss a referral tailored to your needs).


Christian Counseling Centers

Westminster Counseling Center    Downtown Minneapolis.  Counseling provided by pastoral counselors with advanced degrees in psychology.   Sliding fee based on income   612-332-7743

Mount Olivet Lutheran Church Counseling Service   Counseling by licensed mental health counselors and a pastoral counselor.   Low cost for members, moderate cost for non-members.  612-927-7335