Bing tracking

Immigration Regulations

It is your responsibility to maintain your F-1 nonimmigration status while attending school at Augsburg University. Followed is a check-list of terms and conditions for each F-1 student to be aware of  in order to maintain your legal status. Failure to do so can cause serious violation and removal from your program and the United States.

Full-time Enrollment

  • All F-1 international students must maintain full-time enrollment during every academic session or semester except during official school breaks (like summer and winter breaks), or unless approved under specific exception, in advance, by an international student adviser. In spring and fall semester, Augsburg F-1 undergraduate students have to maintain a minimum of 12 credits semester and graduate students have to enroll a minimum of 6 credits.
  • If you cannot maintain full-time enrollment, you will must apply for an approval from an international student adviser by completing the Reduced Course Load form BEFORE you drop below 12 credits.
  • If you plan to enroll some courses at another U.S. higher institution in addition to your enrollment at Augsburg University, you will have to seek an approval from an international student adviser at Augsburg University in advance by completing the Concurrent Enrollment Form.

Valid passport

Your passport should be 6 months before it expires. Make sure you renew it in time.

Keeping I-20 form current

The following incidents will require an issuance of a new I-20 form.

  • Change educational levels or program of study

You will be issued a new I-20 to reflect the change in your educational major or level. Please contact an international student adviser at Augsburg University for more details.

  • Extension of stay

To maintains status, an F-1 student is required to make normal progress towards completing the full course of study before the program end date listed in Item 5 of  your I-20 form. If you cannot complete your program before the program end date, you must apply for an extension 30 days before your program end date by completing F-1 Program Extension Request Form. You will receive a  new I-20 if your request is approved.

  • Transfer out

Simply transferring academically from one school to another does not transfer a student’s F-1 status. Thus, if you plan to transfer from Augsburg to another U.S. higher institution, please consult an Augsburg international student adviser for the proper procedures.

Change of name, address and phone number

Within 10 days of the name,  address or phone number change, F-1 students must notify an international student adviser at Augsburg University in order to update their SEVIS records . Meanwhile, students have to submit Name/Gender/Address Change Form to the Registrar’s Office in order to reflect the change on their Augsburg records.


F-1 students are generally permitted to work on campus. Do NOT work off campus unless specifically authorized. If you are interested in the off-campus employment regulations and application procedure, please talk to an Augsburg international student adviser. Please refer to Employment page for details.