It is your responsibility to maintain your F-1 nonimmigration status while attending school at Augsburg College. Followed is a check-list of terms and conditions for each F-1 student to be aware of in order to maintain your legal status. Failure to do so can cause serious violation and removal from your program and the United States.
- All F1 international students must maintain full-time enrollment during every academic session or semester except during official school breaks (like summer and winter breaks), or unless approved under specific exception, in advance, by an international student advisor. In spring and fall semester, Augsburg F1 undergraduate students have to maintain a minimum of 3 credits semester and graduate students have to enroll a minimum of 2 credits.
- If you cannot maintain full-time enrollment or drop a course below the full-time requirement, you will must apply for an approval from an international student advisor by completing the Reduced Course Load form.
- If you plan to enroll some courses at another U.S. higher institution in addition to your enrollment at Augsburg College, you will have to seek an approval from an international student advisor at Augsburg College in advance by completing the Concurrent Enrollment form.
Keeping your passport and I-20 form current and valid
- A valid Passport
Your passport should be 6 months before it expires. Make sure you renew it in time.
- Change educational levels or program of study
You will be issued a new I-20 to reflect the change in your educational major or level. Please contact an international student advisor at Augsburg College for more details.
- Extension of stay
To maintains status, an F-1 student is required to make normal progress towards completing the full course of study before the program end date listed in Item 5 of your I-20 form. If you cannot complete your program before the program end date, you must apply for an extension 30 days before your program end date by completing F-1 Program Extension Request Form. You will receive a new I-20 if your request is approved.
- Transfer out
Simply transferring academically from one school to another does not transfer a student’s F-1 status. Thus, if you plan to transfer from Augsburg to another U.S. higher institution, please consult an Augsburg international student advisor for the proper procedures.
Change of name and address
F-1 students must notify an international student advisor at Augsburg College within 10 days of the name or address change by completing and submitting Name and Address Change form.
- On-campus Employment: limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session; can be full-time during official school breaks
- Off-campus Employment: Do not work off-campus unless specifically authorized. If you are interested in off-campus employment, please talk to an Augsburg international student advisor about the application procedure and regulations.