Program for East African future teachers
Augsburg University’s Education Department is a recipient of the Minnesota legislature’s generous Collaborative Urban Educator (CUE) funding.The CUE program’s purpose is to increase the diversity of the teacher workforce in Minnesota.Our program specifically targets East African future teachers: East African Student to Teacher (EAST).The goal of the program is to recruit, retain, and license highly qualified students who wish to become K-12 teachers. EAST covers tuition costs towards initial licensure.
To be eligible to apply for an EAST scholarship, you have to meet the following requirements:
- Admitted as an undergraduate or a graduate student at Augsburg University
- If you are an undergraduate transfer, you must have completed at least 2 years (approx. 60 transferable credits)
- Of East African descent and multilingual (preferred)
- Admissible to the teaching licensure program with a minimum of 2.5 GPA
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident and eligible to work in the U.S.
- Work/volunteer experience working with children and youth
- Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examination/NES Essential Skills scores required *
*Please note that you are not required to pass the exam to be considered for the scholarship
If you are awarded an EAST scholarship, you must:
- Attend monthly EAST meetings and individual advising meetings and, keep in close communication with all Education department faculty and staff
- Maintain a 3.0 or above each semester
- Commit to teaching in Minnesota for at least 3 years after licensure completion
STEPS TO APPLY
- Attend an EAST MAE/AU Information Session
- Apply to Augsburg University by January 1st, 2019
- Take the MTLE/NES Essential Skills Exam (Math, Reading & Writing)
- Apply to the EAST Scholarship Program by January 28th, 2019 (Application link will be provided once you are accepted to Augsburg University)
- Awardees will be notified in April and sign contracts by May 15th, 2019
Minneapolis and Rochester
Courses available at Augsburg’s Minneapolis campus and Rochester location.
Please send all inquiries to email@example.com or call 612-330-1345