Good stewardship requires thoughtful consumption. Buying for the everyday needs of a university campus should reflect not only the usefulness of any given item in our common work but also the long-term ramifications of its use. Whether it’s committing to compostable food service materials, purchasing more locally-grown produce for our food service, or using high post-consumer content recycled paper, Augsburg University attends to the broader ecological ramifications of the items that aid us in our work. Responsible purchasing also stems from our anchor institution commitments, which contributed to 15% of the total construction cost of the Hagfors Center project supporting local, minority owned, and/or women-owned businesses.
- 2005: Switched to 30% post-consumer recycled paper for all general-use printers and copiers.
- 2020: Switched to 100% post-consumer recycled paper! Many thanks to Environmental Action Committee of Augsburg Day Student Government for approving funding for a 3-year pilot project in partnership with Purchasing and Copy Center staff!
- Augsburg Dining Services sources from the following local entities when possible:
- Augsburg Dining Services is currently working to source halal meats from local sources.
- The Campus Kitchen at Augsburg University – Making healthy food accessible to all in and around the Cedar Riverside Neighborhood to provide for basic needs, service learning, leadership development, and genuine engagement between the University and the community since 2003. Repurposed and recovered food supports community meals, produce give-aways, and on-campus foodshelf, and more. Gleaned produce from the Mill City Farmer’s Market and our very own Medtronic Foundation Community Garden are in the mix during the growing season. This group also advocates for more sustainable, local, equitable food around campus and in our Cedar-Riverside neighborhood.
Fair Trade coffee
Items certified as “Fair Trade” are produced in such a way that the producers are paid a fair living wage. Fair trade coffee from Peace Coffee can be found at Nabo in the Oren Gateway Center. Kafe Kafeega in the Hagfors Center also features organic coffee. Don’t forget to bring your own travel mug to reduce waste too!